Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-27-2005, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Help With Air Compressor Shopping

I'm getting ready to break down and purchase a new air compressor. I've decided that since I don't have 220 ran out to my shop, and I can't seem to get anyone over here to help run it, that I want to just go with a 110 - the portable standup type with wheels. This would suit two advantages. I could use it out there, AND up here in the garage if needed. What I would like to know, is what is the biggest (CFM) compresor available with just a 110. So far, I'm coming up with 6.0 CFM at 90 psi. Any advice?

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 05-27-2005, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What would you be using it for mainly? You may want to consider a compact gas engine one you could take with you on the road. What tools would you be running as well? Impacts use up short bursts of air where as a die grinder will chew up a lot of air since you're on the trigger more. Do you plan to winterize irrigation systems also? A 20 gal. with a nice gas engine can be really handy. I have a small Campbell Hausfield thats one of the oilless electric jobs. Good for around the house but not much else. Wish I had spent the money and got a gas engine.
Old 05-27-2005, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You would be better off with the 220 , and a large compressor , and run a air line back in the same trench. I have a 100 gallon 220 volt 8 hp that I have had for 20 years , I have lines run from the shop to the house and from the shop to the parking area . You will never regret going big
Old 05-27-2005, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would just be using it to run an occasional impact, and using the air gun to clean parts (like with brake cleaner). Maybe every GREAT once in awhile, I would use a die grinder (like for sharpening hedgesaw and stuff. I would love to run the 220 and the lines like that, but I have about 150 ft. back from the house to the shop, and I already have buried electric. Maybe later on down the line, I will consider that. As it is, all my welding I have to do up in the garage. I seldomly weld here anymore, though. Most everything like that I do, I do over at my friend's shop.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 05-27-2005, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sears

Got my stand up at Sears, $300.00, does everything I need it to do...
Old 05-28-2005, 11:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would get the compressor with the motor than can be wired 120/240 then if you needed you could change it any time.
I have an old DeVilbiss air compressor 120/240 volt; I have it wired for 120 volts now. 7.1 CFM @ 90 PSI. It works well for what I have needed; but my compressor is close to my panel so I donít have a problem with voltage drop. You will have to wait on it if you use a die grinder very much.
Old 05-28-2005, 12:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Martinez
Got my stand up at Sears, $300.00, does everything I need it to do...
Thats what i would do. I got mine at home depot. You dont have to go nuts spending money for what you will use it for.
Old 05-28-2005, 12:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sears

It was 110, so no extra cost for 220......as long as you keep it drained, it will last forever.....also It would fit in my trailer if I ever wanted a kick a$$ set up.....as for now its in the garage.....
Old 05-29-2005, 08:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Joe I just had the same need as you and bought a 25 gal 6 hp compressor. It can go up to 135psi but most of the air tools run at 90. I bought a Porter Cable oilless model CPF6025VP upright on wheels. It can be run on a 15 amp circuit and is plenty of compressor for my needs. I paid just under 300 on sale. I also bought a tool kit from Devilbiss for 80 bucks. It included an impact, 3/8 air ratchet, air hammer, die grinder, and about 65 other parts and pieces. The extras I bought were 25 ft of hose, a blow attatchment and a air grease gun that is very cool.
Your needs and use sounds exactly like mine so thats my set up. Anything in that general area will work fine for you, I don't know why I waited so long. The only thing I want is a spring loaded rewind reel for the hose. Good Luck.
Old 05-29-2005, 03:18 PM
LawnSite Member

i have burned up alot of compressors ..nothing holds up like a rigid ..it will last forever..honda motor on the gas powered ..little pricy ..but has saved me alot in the long run..i have owned porter cable, cobalt ,crappy dewalt,and the weakling craftsman.none of these could stand the test even with proper care...,this rigid has been slamed around quite a bit job to job running for hours for a real long time.still 135 pounds strong .good customer support..i stand by all rigid products