Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-30-2005, 03:48 AM
LawnSite Member

Contemporary Waterfall - how to keep the water level the same

I am installing a contemporary waterfall which will be 12' long and 3' high and will flow from under the coping of one of the side walls of a stone planter down the side wall and into a stainless steel or tiled trough. The stone planter box is 3' wide, 12' long, and 3' higher than the surrounding patio. The trough below will be 1' wide, 12' long and 1' deep. We are also going to clad the wall either in stainless steel or granite.

How can we keep the water level in the trough constant without resorting to using a ball type auto-fill valve or one of those expensive electronic sensors connected to a solenoid? Or should I simply tell the homeowner to fill the trough with the garden hose whenever it gets low. The trough will be in full sun during the day during the summer months. This installation is in Toronto, Canada.

Thanks!
Old 05-30-2005, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by eonibm
I am installing a contemporary waterfall which will be 12' long and 3' high and will flow from under the coping of one of the side walls of a stone planter down the side wall and into a stainless steel or tiled trough. The stone planter box is 3' wide, 12' long, and 3' higher than the surrounding patio. The trough below will be 1' wide, 12' long and 1' deep. We are also going to clad the wall either in stainless steel or granite.

How can we keep the water level in the trough constant without resorting to using a ball type auto-fill valve or one of those expensive electronic sensors connected to a solenoid? Or should I simply tell the homeowner to fill the trough with the garden hose whenever it gets low. The trough will be in full sun during the day during the summer months. This installation is in Toronto, Canada.

Thanks!
Use a float switch and a solinoid valve.
Old 05-30-2005, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Any recommendation?

Thanks, do you have any recommendation for what float system to use? I understand they are very visible, no?
Old 06-05-2005, 04:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

you might be able to run some plumbing from the bottom pool to another "pool" that is not visible and set up an auto fill there. Just make sure the "new pool" is at the same level you would want to water to be in the visible pond.