Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-30-2005, 10:31 AM
LawnSite Member

New to site/bus-need help

I want to say thanks in advance to anyone who replies. This is a great site with a lot of useful information. I was wondering if some can tell me if there is a rule of thumb for estimating edging. I have two properties that haven't been edged in forever. If I have to edge lets say 100 feet - is it really 200 feet because both sides of the sidewalk. What would that cost.(cents per foot cement, no beds). I am also in the market to buy a edger - should I buy a stick or a walk behind? Thanks again.
The Tank
Old 05-30-2005, 11:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Don't know what the market will bear in your area. Here I throw in heavy, overgrown edging pretty cheap as a loss leader to get the rest of the work. I do charge a little for the bags, shoveling up the sod, and hauloff.

I have a 3.5hp Murray w/b edger got for cheap for heavy work as you have described. After that it is Stihl stick as it is much quicker for light work. Yes, I'm a little ashamed to have any Murray on the trailer, but the POS edger has never failed me. It was $130 brand new at Walmart, a manager special. Had sat for a year as nobody wanted it and was a little rusty and dirty. It works for me, and am much faster with it after some experience on it.
Old 05-30-2005, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

i use a commercial, walk behind, Trailmate edger, things an animal.. very stable, can cut through anything.

i never charged per foot for edging, i just do an initial clean/up, meaning getting the property in order, and include it in the cost of the clean up. pricing varies, so its hard to give you numbers, but factor in a fair costs for your self for the exra time it will take you.
also, how much are you edging off? an inch or 2, or more?
Old 05-30-2005, 11:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

For those edges which are badly overgrown, haven't been maintained, I like a walk behind. But I wouldn't buy a walk for one job!

A stick egder with real good power, like the Redmax HEZ2500S, will do it. Some people like to walk backwards when establishing a new edge. It's WORK, know that !

It's difficult to give you a flat rate on this job. Is this a one time job? Charge a bunch!
I don't know your grasses. I deal with St.Augustine and Bermuda Grass,which both tend to grow over the walks and 'attach' to it! I'd want $50 - to $70 for the job; it would be a hard sell.

If it were a job for a new weekly account, I'd add $25-$35 for the set-up.

It's a hard jod, and it's very hard on your equipment as well as your body. Sell those facts. Don't forget cleanup, if you'll have to haul and pay fees, charge the customer.

Good luck!