Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-30-2005, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Texas Oportunities

I am intrested in Texas A&M for college and was intrested in the lawn care and landscaping business oportunities. I am not a scrub and hope to set up and maintain a multi-million dollar comany within the next 15 years. My question is what are the advantages of mowing in Texas vs. Illionis? Where is the best area for work? etc. Thanks
Stihl 4mix

"WE ONLY HURT THE ONES WE LOVE"
Old 05-30-2005, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

b/cs

The Bryan/College Station is growing, it would work well with A&M.....not sure what you would do in the winter, Dec. to Jan....Good luck...
Old 05-31-2005, 06:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

being that you are 16 now, what year do you graduate high school?
economic factors to shape a business can vary greatly in the intervening years from college attendence to start up.
Presumably since you are out of the state of Texas, the higher tuition isn't problematic for you?
That being the case, attend Penn State's turfgrass management program.
This program is still rated as the best turf management program in the world-in fact most colleges have attempted to pattern their respective turfgrass agronomy programs after it.
While in college, supplement the agronomics with business courses and you should be okay.
Old 06-01-2005, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWD
being that you are 16 now, what year do you graduate high school?
economic factors to shape a business can vary greatly in the intervening years from college attendence to start up.
Presumably since you are out of the state of Texas, the higher tuition isn't problematic for you?
That being the case, attend Penn State's turfgrass management program.
This program is still rated as the best turf management program in the world-in fact most colleges have attempted to pattern their respective turfgrass agronomy programs after it.
While in college, supplement the agronomics with business courses and you should be okay.
College is already paid for. Time with classes is not a big worry because i know how to set up a business and hire and all that stuff. My question is about what Texas L.C.O's do differently that Illinois L.C.O's? In Illinois, you can only mow 30-35 weeks. April - October. I would think Texas would be different. Also, do they mow every week, biweekly, what? Finally, what is the average 1/4 lot pay. Ours is $20-25. Just need a little info, thanks
Stihl 4mix

"WE ONLY HURT THE ONES WE LOVE"
Old 06-02-2005, 06:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

First off, after working with A&M grads, maintaining and building courses, let alone with horticulture, I maintain the point made earlier about where to attend.

Secondly, you simply cannot base a price schedule solely on mowing and reasonably expect to make a concise decision. The reason is geographic areas differ widely in a whole host of factors, not just seasonal mowing time.

Additionally, mowing isn't where you make money, unless it is large scale. The upsale, landscape, irrigation, tree trimming, etc is where the bulk of my business's money comes from. Sure I make a profit mowing, yet no where near what I make from these other services.

The best area to work is one that has the demographics to support your ambitions. An answer to that is available through the many business sites available on the web - also through the Chamber of Commerce.

Business success is not a function of where you are at - it is a direct, causal relationship as to who, what kind of business person you are.
Old 06-02-2005, 03:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, the answer is clear. If you have a choice between anywhere and Texas, pick Texas.