Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-17-2005, 02:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK45Mark23
How do you get rid of clover and other weeds using an organic means? Do you take a soil sample and use lime, sulfur and or pot ash? Is using these products still a means of controlling soil ph organically? I have gotten conflicting information.
Hi, soil testing is key with any new to you client?.....Lime and sulfur if in there original state are surely organic.....What does "Clover" tell you about the present soil condition?[ if it hasnt been seeded in clover recently?].....A heavy dose of fish emulsion should clear that up very quickly [ you tell me why?].................I'll be waitin for your answer.........
Old 06-17-2005, 06:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i dont consider clover to be a 'weed'.
Old 06-18-2005, 04:25 AM
LawnSite Member

OK I have spent all day (maybe around 13 hours) on line learning about corn mean, corn gluten meal, blood meal, alfalfa pellets, molasses, fish emulsion, activated carbon, vinegar, orange oil, zeolite, glauconite, lava sand, mosquito dunks and a some form of surfactant (for me Shaklee Basic H).

I think the answer to the question you posed is the Nitrogen level and release method of the fish emulsion. I know that Clover is at home in nitrogen poor soil and extracts its nitrogen from the air. So where the soil is nitrogen poor the grass is in distress and the clover is healthy. The fish emulsion has a herd of microbial and trace minerals that can reestablish a proper balance of organic activity in the soil.

I also spent a few hours on the phone trying to track some of this down locally and well not so locally. I did find corn gluten meal for $360.00 a ton at a mill in Il. Also, I did find online suppliers for every thing.

So am I on the right track, or did I miss the point?

Last edited by HK45Mark23; 06-18-2005 at 04:33 AM.
Old 06-20-2005, 04:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocutting
Hi, soil testing is key with any new to you client?.....Lime and sulfur if in there original state are surely organic.....What does "Clover" tell you about the present soil condition?[ if it hasnt been seeded in clover recently?].....A heavy dose of fish emulsion should clear that up very quickly [ you tell me why?].................I'll be waitin for your answer.........

Well Nocutting,

I have responded and am waiting for your critique. I was tired when I posted and know that there is a lot more to this organic approach. Will you please steer me towards a book or set of books that explains organic yard care, organic products, organic diagnoses and treatments. I really am new to this concept. I am very interested in providing this type of service in my aria and am glad to have a resource such as Lawn Site organic forum and the experience of people like you to direct me and for me to have as mentors. Thanks
Old 09-25-2005, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thumbs up Sorry I've been away

Hi, you did alot of reserch in a short time.....have you tried anything yourself?.....Rodale Press has a lot of great books, even the ones on vegtable gardening will be very useful.........Just avoid Paul Sachs, he makes a verrrry expensive product for retail [ I know him, had him as key note at a few seminars].....hes all about the cash........Do you use IPM / or OPM practices?......lets say you see the moths of the sod webworm?.........I usally time my next nematode release about 10-14 days after seein them..........Whats the benifit to useing AG grade feeds instead of commercially avalible organic fertilizers / or pre-emergent [ corn gluten].....1st they cost less.............2nd.......you now calibrate your spreader [ drop the spinner, walk off 125 ft x 8 ft width, put a catch pan to collect what falls out, weigh] ahhhhh now you are calibrated......walaaaaaa.........3, if you arent a card carryin certified pest. applicator........you now make all Supplemental Neutrient Apps. with many other benificial results?......hey, you can e-me direct if you'd like?.....sometimes I have a biz to look after and dont come around to much? :alien: Regards
Old 09-26-2005, 11:18 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodycrest
i dont consider clover to be a 'weed'.
Im glad you do not consider clover as a weed but some do. So what part of Ontario are you from by the way????? maybe we can pass info to each other.
Old 03-20-2006, 02:01 PM
LawnSite Member

AG grade feeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocutting
..........Whats the benifit to useing AG grade feeds instead of commercially avalible organic fertilizers / or pre-emergent [ corn gluten].....1st they cost less.............2nd.......you now calibrate your spreader [ drop the spinner, walk off 125 ft x 8 ft width, put a catch pan to collect what falls out, weigh] ahhhhh now you are calibrated......walaaaaaa.........3, if you arent a card carryin certified pest. applicator........you now make all Supplemental Neutrient Apps. with many other benificial results?.......

nocutting- Have you had the same results using cracked corn or ag corn gluten feed as opposed to using commercially available CG? Any problem spreading them?