Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-01-2005, 11:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

half full

OK folks need some advise.....I have always been a "half-full" person, must have been the upbringing...anyway some days I feel like just saying to heck with mowing....now that school is out I have started to see more "LCO" start ups than before....and of course people around here can afford to get the kids hooked up with new trailers and Scag's....heck the local high school had a ton of new Mustangs and Vettes toward the end of the school year/gifts....I seem to be stuck on the accounts I have and still advertise in the local paper.....but nothing, I am keeping busy with landscape jobs,but could use more..... of course it rained like crazy last night....reason I'm posting...hope it drys out by this afternoon...
Is this something that others have experienced? Or do I need to see a doctor? thanks!!!
Old 06-01-2005, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dont get discouraged. If Im not mistaken you just started and it takes time to build up a base. You have to find your niche. I would start passing out flyers in the areas you are cutting and let your work speak for itself. I just started again (quit for 4 years). Im in a new area, and find myself doing retaining walls around beds, mulching, etc. I just want to mow and do fert and weed control, but I have gained a couple of customers for doing the side jobs. Hang in there, concentrate on trying to keep your routes tight. 1 area overlooked/not wanted in my areas are the bi-weekly cuts. I hate doing them, but being up front with the customers that their lawn will not look its best, I can charge a profitable price and they are happy. Most other LCO's won't do them.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

BRING IT ON!!!

That needs to be your attitude.

Do you think that none of the rest of us experience problems? Of couse we do. When you are in business, you can expect more and bigger problems than you would have as an employee. But the rewards are greater too.
Solve the problem and take the next step.

Solve the problem. You don't have enough customers - go get some. Yes, it is that simple. They are not going to come running to you, you have to go get them. Knock on doors, hand out flyers, network with other companies - do what has to be done.

What is the difference between the guy who nets 200k per year and you? Is he smarter, has better luck or a better market? Whatever skills that he has, you can obtain. Figure out where you or your business is lacking and fix the problem.

Or you could quit. That is your other option. You can either give it everything that you have or you can give up. Very rarely is there any middle ground. Your business will shrink or it will grow.

Soli Deo Gloria
Old 06-01-2005, 12:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

thanks

Thanks guys....I know things don't happen overnight....I give my best on my installs/mows and know the return will be greater....I have to remember to watch what you "wish for"...it could bite me in the a$$...just wanted to know that this the "norm"....its been 4 months and I know I wouldn't be retiring this year//ha-ha........I have to remember to give it time...thanks again!!
Old 06-01-2005, 01:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Martinez, what is your goal?

Soli Deo Gloria
Old 06-01-2005, 02:19 PM

I was cutting a yard yesterday and there were 4 LCO's on one street(10 houses) and 3 others that usually cut that street were not there that day. Just amazing and kinda sad.
Old 06-01-2005, 02:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Charles, why is this situation sad?

There's a lot to be said for a free enterprise economy, where anyone with a modicum of gumption can start in business. And succeed or flop, according to his energy, talent, or just plain luck. We all recognize that some of the multitudes in the Green Industry are WAAAAAY underpriced, and during their short duration in the industry they make the public think those low prices are the correct prices. That is probably what you refer to as "sad." But we all also know we have the option to rise above that and succeed, or say fuggitaboutit and quit.

According to some (including myself at times) I failed. Because after 8 years full-time, I said "D@mn I'm not making the income I should be for the hours and effort, so I give up." But I can also look at it as, I had/have options, staying in the lawn business is only one option, and that isn't/wasn't the best option for me at this time.

All a part of what some refer to as Freedom.
Old 06-01-2005, 02:44 PM

I am pretty sure many of these people were laid off from their jobs. Over 8% unemployment around here with all the textile plants going belly up. These people didnt have the option. They have to feed their families. But there is only so many slices of the lawncare pie.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

crews

My goal is to have 3 trucks service the area, that would mean 6 employees..I don't want more than that....I want to have my finger on the pulse, without micro-managing.....I want them to be self-supportive and still make some money....I am not in this to get rich.....just freedom....I have the nice home, I have the rental property, I did have the "nice" car that sat in the garage for nearly 2 years and I drove it 6 times, total....sold it to start this endeavor...I enjoy my trailer and mowers more than the car...in the end I just want people to say that my crews did the best job! That they really cared about the job.....I also want to help employees reach whatever goals they have...be it the fancy car, or home....

I have a guy I network with, 10 years with the top LCO in town, making $10.00 an hour?? Of course he gets canned once they found out he started his own company....I helped him buy his first fax machine, you would of thought I gave him a check for 10 grand...he was so happy....this stuff makes me happy, knowing I helped someone take another step forward...