Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-01-2005, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Member

double blading the edger

i did an experiment where i took two iron edger blader used the impact wrench took the nut off and added another blade in a + style and guess what? it works like a charm! i can get the heavier grass runners cut in one shot instead of backing up each time. make sure that the circle is lined up with the original holder. boy it sure has more power in cutting wise i will be watching out for any over heating and need to put in more grease at the end of the gear tranny deal. so who else has done this?
Old 06-01-2005, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Are you talking about on a stick edger?

I was just thinking about doing that to my stick edgers last week, but didn't do it because I did not know how it would work out.

Ps 23:1-2
The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in GREEN PASTURES
Old 06-01-2005, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

There is two problems with this. First, it is extra and unnecessary wear on the edger, as the gap doesn't NEED to be that wide. If there is something that isn't cutting, then it is a matter of a fresh blade, or going slower. As long as the sod is cut back to the hard edge, it's all the same. Second, if you open up the gap that wide, you are inviting weeds to grow. Other than that, yes, I can see how it would work.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Are you using regular straight blades? I use the star blades with my stick edger and they work very well. No need for two blades, you have four cutting edges with the star blades.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Member

yeah im using regular blades just got to center it and then you good to go. im watching out on the wear and tear thing. i may just switch to a single blade then but hey its just an experiment doesnt mean im going to do it for ever. also what about taking two gator blades and double the metro exmark will that just make the rpm slower on the mower? i know it will be more wear and tear just thinking.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I went from regular, to star, then back to regular. I didnt like the star blades as much, they dont leave as good of a cut for me, and worse down to quick, and 3x as much $.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Member

I am running doubles and so far I like the performance. A slightly bigger groove (1/8 of an inch) seems to look better. The biggest plus so far is that It takes way more than twice as long to wear the blades out. (2 blades should take twice as long to wear out as a single, but not the case)

I wonder why?
Old 06-02-2005, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i think i agre with Runner
Old 06-02-2005, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleanmaxx Brian
I am running doubles and so far I like the performance. A slightly bigger groove (1/8 of an inch) seems to look better. The biggest plus so far is that It takes way more than twice as long to wear the blades out. (2 blades should take twice as long to wear out as a single, but not the case)

I wonder why?

I havent done it, but I would assume that the blade against the concrete takes most of the wear, but the blade against the grass does most of the cutting, so it would last alot longer since it isnt scraping against the concrete.

Kevin
Old 06-02-2005, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Pastures
Are you talking about on a stick edger?

I was just thinking about doing that to my stick edgers last week, but didn't do it because I did not know how it would work out.

Apparently nobody heard me the first time.

Ps 23:1-2
The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in GREEN PASTURES