Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-02-2005, 04:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Rock under a fence

Just wondering about what you guys would charge to install white marble stone underneath a fence. The stone will cover about a 12 inch wide area roughly 100 ft long, 3 inches deep. The customer wants to use commercial black plastic edging along both sides of the trench. I told him 150 dollars plus materials. I figure about 5 hours at 30 dollars and hour. But then again never done a job like this and not sure how much trouble the fence will be. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Tough call, not sure how difficult it will be digging a trench under a fence. What kind of fence? wood, chain link? If you think it will take 5, I think 150 is low. I would have shot for 225-300. I would say easiest way to do this is get a bed edger, hit both sides of the fence, the middle strip of turf will come out easy after your edges are done and installing your plastic edging will be a snap. This job shouldnt be more then a few hours with the right equipment.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

$640 + materials. Dont work for free. Charge a premium for your premium work and craftsmanship!!!
Old 06-07-2005, 01:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

your way too cheap,$250 to 375.00.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think you are under estimating your production hours by alot. I would figure 2 guys 3 hours just to edge and desod, another 2-3 hours for edging install, with 2 hours of stone installation(aprox. 1.5 tons.) total 16 man hrs. + materials = 875.00
Old 06-08-2005, 12:47 PM
LawnSite Member

finished the job, lost my a**. the customer realized this and payed me 225 for labor it took me and a helper about 7 hours to do, luckily the ground was wet, id say teh edging went in in about 45 minutes, just me putting it in. I had never done a job like this before so didnt knwo how to bid it. A neighbor came by and said she loved it though and homeowner was happy. Dropped off an estimate at the neighbors house yesterday morning for 275 plus materials. By the way it was a plastic fence, the maintence guys they have were tearing it up with the weedeaters. ( The community they live in has a contract with the maintenece company, or i could have been able to get a weekly cut from him also. I am new to this business so it will take some time for me to learn to give estimates. But i appreciate the information.
Old 06-08-2005, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

customer still got a good deal at $16.07 per man hour. With this new experience under your belt, you should charge the next person more than what you've estimated, and get it done quicker than estimated.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

as you do more jobs you will come to know pretty close how long a job will take you. one thing to remember, I alway figure a few more m/hrs. than it might take but at least if something happens i'm covered and not loosing money!!!
Old 06-09-2005, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Member

i wouldnt say i lost money just didnt make much. but it was a learning experience. still havent heard back from the neighbor that i bid 275 in labor. If shes not interested in it that price ive got plenty now to keep me busy. Just started May 10th already booked up til the end of July. I have a buddy who is a supervisor for a local construction company and he has helped me alot getting started with jobs. Also have another friend who is in this business and cant take any more jobs so he is referring to me. Thanks for the info
Old 06-11-2005, 12:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Good experience is worth doing the job even though you didnt make much money. Dont feel bad I bid a job early this year at $2400 and it took me and another guy 32 hours and I had $325 in materials Needless to say I was a little off