Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-02-2005, 05:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Question rock borders....trimming

In my area there are alot of borders for flowerbeds and yard borders done with natural limestone. The unconformity of the line eats up my trimmer line. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or what they did.

Many of my accounts have this and it requires me to replace my trimming line often. It's not the money required to buy new string that bothers me but just the time and pain in the @ss it is to restring the damn thing.

...it chews up the string because many have the grass growing right up to the rocks (just FYI) and the rocks are jagged and yea you get the idea.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i have the same problem here but what can you do....I bought extra spools and pre wind the cord put them in the tool box ....and even thought about duct taping the extra spool on the weed eater to eliminate walking back to the truck.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I love having those pre wound spools ready to rock n roll. just pop the empty one out load a fresh spool in, and back to work I go.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Member

heh, yea i guess there isnt any secret that i was missing out on.

the line i run is pretty thin .92 i believe. I saw some titanium string at Home Depot or Lowes, and it is pretty expensive for what it is. they claim that there is real titainium in it

the line is completely round though with no cutting edges. I was wondering if anyone has tried this stuff. or maybe i should go to some thicker trimming line (i would have to custom fit the bigger line because im not gonna go out and buy some equipment for a thicker line, unless it works really well and then i'll replace all my trimmers with it)
Old 06-02-2005, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

yes the husquvarna line has real titanium in it. seems to last well compared to others. Playing with the throttle works better for me. Rememeber a smaller diamiter line will cut at a lower speed than a large one so if the rock has sharp edges I would try like .080 line and half throttle. works well for me with a little finesse. Some guys will say use big line like .105 but I find that grabs more and wants to dig in and is less forgiving on the rocks so it snaps.Also I hear soaking the line in water until you use it will make it last longer. I havent tried this yet.

This is just my opinion.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

We run a small bead of glyphosate around these beds. It leaves us with an approx. 1/2" gap. It is much more aesthetically pleasing in appearance, much easier to maintain, and uses much less string. This way, you also don't have the strands of grass that grow up in between the rocks that are always missed with the trimmer.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
We run a small bead of glyphosate around these beds. It leaves us with an approx. 1/2" gap. It is much more aesthetically pleasing in appearance, much easier to maintain, and uses much less string. This way, you also don't have the strands of grass that grow up in between the rocks that are always missed with the trimmer.

Same here. Faster, easier and looks beter.

Old 06-03-2005, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Like Joe (runner) said. Hit w/ round-up, then we'll vertically trim as well as horizontally along them each week so the turf doesn't creep back into the border again.
Old 06-03-2005, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turfdude
Like Joe (runner) said. Hit w/ round-up, then we'll vertically trim as well as horizontally along them each week so the turf doesn't creep back into the border again.
Humm, that was gonna be my exact suggestion till I scrolled down only to read that someone stole it! I really like the horizontal edge around stuff like this, just be careful to not let your round-up make too wide a band, you don't want a dirt band that's going to be a weed farm. Be sure to OK it with your customers too. Some wouldn't care, soume may kill you if you kill even a blade of their grass!