Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-04-2005, 02:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Tecumseh carb/governor linkage

I need info or diagram showing linkage of carb and governor on a Scott's (Murray) mulcher mower (walk behind) Model 21997x8a with a Tecumseh 6.5 HP. I just was given this mower and throttle lever wont increase RPM's and I am uncertain as to the correct linkage to the lever/carb/governor. I'm a roofer needing a small engine guy to help. I'm sure it's a typical set up, but it's not my area. Cant find a daggum diagram at the Tecumseh site. I'll appreciate your help.
John
Old 06-04-2005, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Emac
I need info or diagram showing linkage of carb and governor on a Scott's (Murray) mulcher mower (walk behind) Model 21997x8a with a Tecumseh 6.5 HP. I just was given this mower and throttle lever wont increase RPM's and I am uncertain as to the correct linkage to the lever/carb/governor. I'm a roofer needing a small engine guy to help. I'm sure it's a typical set up, but it's not my area. Cant find a daggum diagram at the Tecumseh site. I'll appreciate your help.
John

If you post the model and spec. numbers off your engine I'll look it up and give you a hand,Tecumseh has many different control assemblys !

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 06-04-2005, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey thanks , Rob,
The motor is aTecumseh OVRM120. The motor family is YTPXS.1951AA. It's a 195 cc. The governor lever has 2 holes at its top, 1 for the throttle link, 1 for the governor link. I dont know which should go from the throttle control lever to the gov and which should go from the carb butterfly to the gov. there are 2 links. 1 is a solid link, the other is a link with a small spring. When I got the mower, it had been run w/o the air cleaner and wouldn't run. I took off the carb, cleaned it up and reinstalled. I've put in a new air cleaner and spark plug and I can get the mower to run, but I've got it jury rigged. The way it was set up, the throttle control didn't increase the RPM's. I think someone took it apart and messed up the linkages in putting it back together. I have no manuals and am uncertain as to how it should be set up. Again, it's just the two links coming off the governor that are the mystery. I appreciate you replying, bud.
Regards,
John
Old 06-04-2005, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Emac
Hey thanks , Rob,
The motor is aTecumseh OVRM120. The motor family is YTPXS.1951AA. It's a 195 cc. The governor lever has 2 holes at its top, 1 for the throttle link, 1 for the governor link. I dont know which should go from the throttle control lever to the gov and which should go from the carb butterfly to the gov. there are 2 links. 1 is a solid link, the other is a link with a small spring. When I got the mower, it had been run w/o the air cleaner and wouldn't run. I took off the carb, cleaned it up and reinstalled. I've put in a new air cleaner and spark plug and I can get the mower to run, but I've got it jury rigged. The way it was set up, the throttle control didn't increase the RPM's. I think someone took it apart and messed up the linkages in putting it back together. I have no manuals and am uncertain as to how it should be set up. Again, it's just the two links coming off the governor that are the mystery. I appreciate you replying, bud.
Regards,
John

Since you explained a little better I wont have to look this one up.
The solid rod hooks into the top hole on the gov. arm,You want the longest stright end in this arm,The bend area closest to the carb.,On the carb. is three holes put this rod in the hole closest the engine block but as far away from the gov. arm. The spring goes in the second hole down on the gov. arm,Make sure you dont twist the spring but on the throttle control there should be two holes on a arm sticking out towards the engine block put this rod in from the bottom so the hook end is on the top in the hole closest the block,This will ensure the two rods don't touch each other. Now look up under the throttle control and there should be a small screw facing you,This is the high speed adjuster screw it in to raise RPM screw out to lower.

Hope I didn't loose ya along the way but if I did just shout back and I'll try again. coulda done 4 in the time in took to type this,I'm a better wrench spinner than typer. LOL

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 05-19-2010, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrorob View Post
Since you explained a little better I wont have to look this one up.
The solid rod hooks into the top hole on the gov. arm,You want the longest stright end in this arm,The bend area closest to the carb.,On the carb. is three holes put this rod in the hole closest the engine block but as far away from the gov. arm. The spring goes in the second hole down on the gov. arm,Make sure you dont twist the spring but on the throttle control there should be two holes on a arm sticking out towards the engine block put this rod in from the bottom so the hook end is on the top in the hole closest the block,This will ensure the two rods don't touch each other. Now look up under the throttle control and there should be a small screw facing you,This is the high speed adjuster screw it in to raise RPM screw out to lower.

Hope I didn't loose ya along the way but if I did just shout back and I'll try again. coulda done 4 in the time in took to type this,I'm a better wrench spinner than typer. LOL
I have a chipper vac with this engine. I took off the carb and cleanded it and I am having problems putting the linkage back. If you are still around, maybe you can help me?? i think it is the same engine. It is a 195cc about a 05 or 06
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
AMSOIL In Everything I own
Old 05-19-2010, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capemay Eagle View Post
If you are still around, maybe you can help me??
Haha, I'm still around !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrorob View Post
If you post the model and spec. numbers off your engine I'll look it up and give you a hand,Tecumseh has many different control assemblys !

If you can't get it from my explanation, Post the engine model AND spec numbers....

Old 11-12-2011, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Diagram For OVRM120 carb linkages and springs?

I also have a OVRM120 that i took apart to clean the bowl tank ect and i cant remember how everything goes back. Your holp would be great. The engine info is as follows:

Model: OVRM120 22032E
Family: YTPXS.1951AA
195cc DOM: 0305 J
Old 11-12-2011, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Here you gooo......

Old 11-12-2011, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Tecumseh Carburetor Identification,Troubleshooting, and Service manual.

http://billious.com/dl/Tecumseh.Carb...nd.Service.pdf
Old 11-12-2011, 06:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Thank you so much youve both been very helpful!