Pieces of baby dolls
Toy cars
Dead fish
Assorted clothing items
Used diapers
Garden tool handle (rake?)
Shoes
Metal pipes

Probably more that I can't remember, but this is all from one lawn. I try to pick it all up before hand. Usually though, there are several things that get missed. I figure that if they can't keep it all picked up, it becomes mower fodder.
Old 06-05-2005, 11:42 AM
LawnSite Member

I have found alot of junk around my property and some take almost the whole day to take out of the ground.

Large concrete pieces (300lbs each atleast)

Fallen tree under ground (1000+lbs)

scissors

toys

2 inch 20-40ft cable for bulldozers

jewelery

lots of plastic

glass

very small tiles

large rocks

sometimes a bottle

a matress frame

rebar

an old wheel barrow

roofing supplies

old fences

thats about all i can remember.
Old 06-05-2005, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green-Pro
Buck

We got first rain in about two and a half weeks today and not a whole lot of it so send some down this way if you can find the time So dry this week I had to not cut a few.

First season is going really great! I had about 18 accounts up until two weeks ago, then I ended up with 17 more. A good mix of residence (large lots) and commercial (Investment place, car dealer, couple churches, National Guard unit and the Army Reserve Unit) I had bought a Scag 52" TT new ended up buying a Tiger Cub (used 260 hrs) and hiring a young college bound kid from church to help me out. Not that theres so many I can't keep up but all the other add-ons like mulch, plant beds, seeding, tilling, hedge trimming, Fert & Squirt are helping put a strain on the old mowing schedule being solo.

I got extra accounts from my Scag & Echo dealer, he has gotten to the point where he had to choose what he was going to do LCO or Sales & Service. So the accounts he & I contacted folks and let them know I would be taking over, all were good about it, I will have to bid the Two Armed forces props though.

all in all very nice way to start first season, kinda took me by surprise but good problems to have.

Good luck with the Real Estate Business, need to try and put a Pheasant hunt together this fall

-Geoff
Congrats man!! Very nice start indeed. Yes, we'll have to try put together a pheasant hunt, see if we can wrangle up Camland from Michigan too.

Buck
Old 06-05-2005, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up North
So far I've shot a couple cans, a super ball, some sticks, and a carpet sample out from my deck. Actually the carpet sample shut me down instantly as it got all wrapped up around two spindles...that was fun. It was a light brown piece of carpet in a dirt area in front of some steps to an apartment, the thing was so covered with dirt I didn't even notice it until it got sucked up under the deck and shut me down. Took about 20 minutes to cut and unwrap everything...

Buck
Buck, I didnt know you cut... Thats sweet, I thought you just plowed. When ya gonna get a 2500hd?

what kinda mowers ya got?
Old 06-05-2005, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

oh and what did I find.... some people are gonna get pissed at me, but I was cutting a yard that was about a foot tall, and there was a rabbit hole (i didnt know they lived underground) and one came running up, and well, it wasnt the easter bunny anymore. but luckly I noticed it as soon as it came up and went a tad under the deck and I pulled up so he just got a short scalp. Im sure he lived, just had some fur to grow back, but im sure with the heat we've been getting, he isnt missing it.

I have a contract for two realating (spelling?) companys and one bank (take care of their repos), and every once in a while I have to cut tall arse grass, and thats how I found that bunny, im sure if it was maintained everyweek it wouldnt have happened
Old 06-05-2005, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PremierLandscaping
Buck, I didnt know you cut... Thats sweet, I thought you just plowed. When ya gonna get a 2500hd?

what kinda mowers ya got?
I run Snapper (Fastback Pro ZTR) & Toro (WB) for shearing grass, and Echo hand helds for finishing.

I'd love to jump on a 2500HD especially now with the deal they have running but my truck has been paid off for 2 years and I love NO PAYMENTS!!!!

Buck
Old 06-05-2005, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

thats sweet. I just made my first payment. I dont mind, now when I have to bid a first job of the month, which was yesterday, I just add my truck payment into the bid, none-theless, I got it and did the job today and payment 2 is paid already, only 4 days into the month. lol.

now I just need to buy a better mower, either hydro wb or a z. not sure what I want.

how many accounts do you have?
Old 06-05-2005, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Running 22 accounts right now part time. Doesn't sound like much I know but at least half the accounts are very large props that take 1 1/2 hours to 3 hours to do by myself. Then I do real estate when I can.

Buck
Old 06-05-2005, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well other than the usual which you guys already posted, I had a yard with tall grass AND a small pile of brush to clean. So I grabs the 10-tine pitchfork and load the brush in my trailer first, close up the gate and take the outfit out of the driveway so I can cut grass.
So I'm cruising around with the WB when suddenly I hit something that stopped the center spindle (you know, belt squeal and smoke) so of course I shut it all down. Then I look closer and see the handle of my 10-tine pitchfork sticking out the front. Dude that suk'd, the damage to the mower blade was minimal but one the tines on the fork was completely wrapped around the blade and the 10-tine fork is 50 bucks, 80 for a nice one.
So I just put it in the truck, was able to tighten the nut enough to get me through the rest of the day (but once I took the bladebolt off to change for sharp blades later, I couldn't get a thread to grip no more - that's when I realized the bladebolt had got stripped). All in all, after some patient work with a vise and some visegrips and a hammer, I was able to straighten the pitchfork tines back to functional (phew) and was only out 10 bucks for the bladebolt.
Far as the rabbits, I don't wanna talk about that but I do have a dead cat in one yard (no I didn't hit it but the smell is, well...)

Other than that...
My favorite sound is the 'Zing' of a blade when I THOUGHT the blades would clear that stupid rock :-)
Old 06-05-2005, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Hello all. New here, This is what I've managed to chop up so far.
Beer cans
Empty one liter soda bottles. Some of them make a nice POP!
Frog - yuck
Various rocks. ewwww That didnt sound good. It sounded expensive!
Small wet blanket- that turned me off in a hurry.
Old clothesline buried in ground, that shut me down.
Old coil springs from a chair. Wrapped nicely around the drive spindle.(insert cuss here________)

And I walked the property before hand. Next time I take a closer look.
So with that said where can I order a back up set of blades for a 42 inch deck?

Looking for help on setting pricing, check out the new to business forum if ya think you can help. Thanks. Mountaingoat