Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-04-2005, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Member

weeding flower beds

Well i have about 12 customers asking for weekly weeding of there flower beds. I have kind of put off the idea of commiting myself since i really cannot take on anymore work right now. However i am considering hiring a friend to do it on her own time and keep a log of her times. My question is what is a reasonable price to charge a customer to offer this kind of service? I will pay my employee $8.00/hr so that kind of give an idea of what expense i will have in the whole thing.
Old 06-05-2005, 08:09 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I charge 35-40 per man hour for weeding and general labor.
Now I am licensed and do a monthly, or semi monthly weeding, I use pre emergents and come in 1 or 2 times with roundup to kill growing weeds.

For the customers I have now, it seems to be working well, and am trying to expand this service to homeowners who like to mow their own lawns for whatever reason. They like to do mowing, but the weeding, well no one likes to do it, and here is where I might be able to cash in...
Old 06-05-2005, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Member

I think that 30-40/hr for weeding is a little high. That's my personal opinion. I pay my employees 8-10/hr and charge 15-20 for their work. It's kindof hard to justify a lot of wages because you're not using a whole lot of super-specialized or expensive equipmient....just a sprayer and some pruning shears and other small things.
Old 06-05-2005, 12:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamCByrd
I think that 30-40/hr for weeding is a little high. That's my personal opinion. I pay my employees 8-10/hr and charge 15-20 for their work. It's kindof hard to justify a lot of wages because you're not using a whole lot of super-specialized or expensive equipmient....just a sprayer and some pruning shears and other small things.

How about the taxes you are paying for yourself, your employees, your knoledge of safe use of pesticides, pesticide license, insurance policy to cover pesticide application, fuel, insurance on truck and business.
I can make more than that doing mowing and if me and my employees are doing weeding general labor, well I want to make my money for having my mowers setting on the trailer. I do not have any problems getting the hourly rate I need, most of the time I bid the whole job, and if some people want to whine about the prices, they can go and get the neighborhood kid and pay him peanuts to do this work. But "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY OR DON'T PAY FOR".
Old 06-05-2005, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Member

i agree no matter how easy a job is yu still should charge the same 40-50$ a hr per man... if flower beds are done right then weeding shouldnt take very long.. just think how much expenses we have to take care of...i simply do weekly weedings of most of my ccontracts..
Old 06-07-2005, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Taxes and insurance are certainly a consideration. I can't argue with that, and I pay both, but I still don't see how a customer can pay $40 per man-hour for a man with a bucket, rake, hedge trimmer, and fert spreader (etc.) when that's a pretty common rate for man sitting on a $9500 mower with probably $2,000 in misc. equipment.

HOWEVER, if your market will support it, more power to you. There's no honor in going broke.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We do several beds and get $25 per man hour with a min. of 1 hour.