Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-04-2005, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Member

know matter how hard i try i just cant seam to get ahead

im new to the business and doing ok but i dont only try to mow lawns but i landscape to. ive done every thing possiable to get new jobs newspaper adds flyers what ever i can afford what should i do any suggestions ?
Old 06-04-2005, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey,

If I could show you a flyer that help me generate 10-20 new customers everyday what would it be worth to somebody starting out in the business??

Basically I put out 500-1000 flyers and the next day 10-20 customers are wanting me to mow there lawn that day.

Let me know, I'm curious
Old 06-04-2005, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Try the yellow pages.They worked for me.

XW2200,XW2401,2006 XT3300 72 in,2013 Classic 3360;John Deere Gs30 Walkbehind,'85 Chevy 1 ton,03Chevy 3/4 ton,10 ft and 16 ft trailers,Redmax,Honda, and Shindaiwa handhelds
Old 06-05-2005, 12:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mow2nd
If I could show you a flyer that help me generate 10-20 new customers everyday what would it be worth to somebody starting out in the business??
The next day? Are they signing up for weekly/EOW? $500.
Congressman: I want to go to war.
All of Congress: I want to go to war.
Dick Cheney: I was the first one who wanted to go to war.
Old 06-05-2005, 01:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbcaregreen
im new to the business and doing ok but i dont only try to mow lawns but i landscape to. ive done every thing possiable to get new jobs newspaper adds flyers what ever i can afford what should i do any suggestions ?
Unless your equipment is all brand-new (and even then) see about doing some maintenance and tune-ups on it all (including the truck). This will keep you busy and then the equipment is better and ready and maybe things improve.
Replace spark plugs, get 8mm Taylor wires for the truck, hi-performance cap and rotor, stuff like that: Better, and improved, always.
If you're still bored, keep passing out flyers: 200/day minimum. Do it more, and more, and more, do it until you can't stand it anymore (cauz flyers suck), then do it some more.

The yellow pages is good, but I don't know your finances and watch out spending too much money may get you WAY too many calls, spend too little and you're skru'd again.

Perhaps you can post your ad (just text it in), maybe some ppl's have some ideas on how to improve that.
Good luck
Old 06-05-2005, 02:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Looks like what your gonna have to do is justy start telling everyone you know to tell everyone they know,that this is what you do and you are available for work.If you can get a few good jobs under your belt,even if they are one time deals,clean-ups,garden maint, whatever,you will gain confidence and experience and then the work will come.When you mow a lawn,
when your done ask the customer if there is anything else they need done while your there.
give them a card and ask them to tell their freinds and family that you are available for work.
Change your attitude your expecting the work to come to you,you have to go to it.
Work part time for a landscape contractor for awhile to get more work.They often install lawns or plant and when the job is done the customer needs it maintained,your right there give them your card and let them know your available when they are ready.Pin your card up at all the ardware stores,rock suppliers and ask if you can leave some at the nurserys.
Old 06-05-2005, 02:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mow2nd
Hey,

Basically I put out 500-1000 flyers and the next day 10-20 customers are wanting me to mow there lawn that day.

Let me know, I'm curious
Is there a money back gurantee involved? If not it is worth about .50 cents.

Or Maybe it might be worth about $5 per customer generated.

Or maybe you could just be a nice guy and post it on here and we'll see if anyone else has similar results.

'04 Dodge Quad w/Hemi
12' Stainless steel trailer
52" Great Dane Surfer Fixed deck
48" Scag belt WB (FOR SALE)
36" Toro Belt T-Bar WB
JRCO rake
Lesco Model 30 Aerator
Echo PB-610 Blower
Echo SRM-260 trimmer
Echo PE-260 Edger
Old 06-07-2005, 02:39 AM
LawnSite Member

It's all in what you put into something (of yourself)
When I was 12 years old I wanted to quit school.. I was several grades ahead and it was boring.. Not only that - back in my day schools didn't have air conditioning and I use to be all about luxury.

So dig this, I started babbling about how I wanted to be in business instead of school. Every dead headed idiot I told this to thought it was hillarious like fried moose legs.

At about that time I noticed I'd been ripped off when I bought that "descramble pay tv in 12 easy steps" thing out of a magazine.. and I learned all about doing it the right way. I was 12, I wanted HBO damn it!

Pretty soon a young man found a place he could get traps/filters for free (back then they used these little round things to descramble a channel.. and he noticed you could use them at the set) and he began selling them for $30-$50 apiece. Back then those channels were $14.99 each per month.

Not only that - he began placing some ads for his new "learn how to descramble pay tv" and "hack premium channels" bla bla bla

Pretty soon the little bastad could show his monthly income and make any working man blush

No one can stop you and no circumstance can stop you.. I turned 16 and then wasted three years on a woman turned insubordinate traitor from hell, turned 19 and wasted two more drinking and seeing the WRONG women - now I'm sober a year. Away from women about that same amount of time.

Things could not be worse - the hole I dug for myself is deeper than a well - debt and lack of cash have my back on the wall but I've learned alot about Real Estate, I know the Automobile business fairly well, I know Diamonds fairly well and no matter how bad things may be now - they will be better - ONLY if I pay for my past choices... get off my ass and DO WHAT IT TAKES even when EVERYTHING GOES WRONG and do this UNTIL IT GOES RIGHT

DO WHAT IT TAKES UNTIL IT TAKES IT!!!
Old 06-07-2005, 02:41 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

It's seem...........

Ps 23:1-2
The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in GREEN PASTURES
Old 06-09-2005, 12:31 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbcaregreen
Welcome to the wonderful life of lawn care...lol You not gonna make it overnight. You need time to get established and get you name and reputation out. We were lucky in the sense that we bought out another lco to get started. We had a plan. We bought equipment one thing at a time and put it away until we had what we needed. We really had not planned on starting out until the next year. We both worked full time for a large lco and did a few side jobs here and there. One day we loaded up the equipment to go out and cut a few jobs. Mom's house, my brother's girls house, ect. Was kinda funny what happened. We had been out drinking the night before and were pretty hung over that morning. We both called into work since my brother could not work unless I did. I was a tree stray tech and he drug hose for me. Anyway, by mid afternoon we felt better. We went to mom's and cut her lawn. When we were done, we noticed that we had a low tire on the trailer. Drove up to the corner gas station to put air in it. While we are there, our boss drives up and stares at us. Here we are with a truck and trailer full of mowers and we called in sick that day. I tried to explain, but before I could say anything he fired both of us. We left feeling pretty bad about the whole deal but figured we could get another job somewhere. We go to his girls house and start cutting that. A lawn service truck pulls up and asks if we would be interested in 60 accounts. (must have been an Angel watching us that day) I talked to him for a few minutes and made plans for a sit down that evening. It turned out he was moving out of state and was giving up his route. He had already billed for that month with 2 cuts left. He said, you cut them the last 2 times and they are yours.... That's is how it began. The next day we started and never looked back. We have both worked regular jobs through the years for our pensions ans benefits ect. It's been hard and easy at the same time. We are at a point where we are comfortable where we are and I don't think we will expand much more. We make a decent living and still have time to have fun. Plus we still have our hair..lol All I can tell you is to stick it out and don't expect to be rich overnight. Good luck to you.
Lawn Service Divisions
Warren - Harrison Twp. - Detroit - Lenox - St. Helen
(586) 634-2904 (313) 885-9090 (989) 443-4380