Register free!

Old 06-05-2005, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Member

$10,000 per week left on the table

Question:
Why are not more Landscapers doing landscape lighting?
It is a home run when you are doing planting ! Beyond simple !
WEB: www.frog-lights.com
EMAIL: frog_lights@yahoo.com
Old 06-05-2005, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I was thinking about getting into it. Im expanding next year from just mowing and lighting seemed like a good add on for my company. I just want to make sure the things i add on are profitable.
Old 06-05-2005, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Member

I already do. It's an easy sell in my area.

I'll be honest why I don't buy other than local. Different fixtures give a very different light throw, often depending where they are located. I like my customers to test one or two overnight to see how they perform in their area. And if it's something I haven't worked with before, I want to see.

If it's an area that I know how a particular light will perform, I'll just make a recommendation, but in my area, there are small lots with complex pool areas, patios, retaining walls, etc, that it's hard to know how any fixture will perform in a given area, hence the fact that I can test one or two on the property and easily return/exchange them if needed.

But you are correct. Landscape lighting is easy money and I will certainly look over your website and give you my business when I can! Thanks for your sponsership of this site!!
Old 06-16-2005, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Member

Noel, let me start off by saying i think nightscaping is a fantastic add-on service. I am extremely interested in any information. However some of the hurdles i am facing and i'm sure many other states are the same way. In order to install anything electrical in the state of Massachusetts, one has to get an electricians license. I am not opposed to getting one, but who has the time to take night courses for three years as well as spend an extra 5-6k for the classes alone. In addition in most cases (there are ways around this issue) you have to be an apprentice for 2 years under an electrical contractor to get licensed. Not many companies can work full-time, take classes, and work for someone for 12.00 hr until they get there license. If there were a two week course that companies could get training and a certificate, that would be helpful. But until then it is a difficult road to venture.

Mark
Crown LAwn Service
Old 06-17-2005, 08:50 AM
LawnSite Member

low voltage

All of this is 12 volts ...low voltage. I have to check, in most states a license is not required for plug in low voltage. Do you have to get an electrician to add Christmas lights?
WEB: www.frog-lights.com
EMAIL: frog_lights@yahoo.com
Old 06-24-2005, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Noel,

i contacted the state licensing board and at first they were'nt clear. However this is the latest response i received from them. Just another hoop to jump through. it looks like i'll have to sub out this type of work to a licensed electrician.

No person, firm or corporation shall enter into, engage in, or work at the business or occupation of installing wires, conduits, apparatus, devices, fixtures, or other appliances for carrying or using electricity for light, heat, power, fire warning or security system purposes, unless such person, firm or corporation shall be licensed by the state examiners of electricians in accordance with this chapter
Old 06-24-2005, 12:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

One of the main reasons I don't do alot of landscape lighting installations is because it's so easy the homeowners want to do it themselves or have already done it themselves,or when I suggest it or put it on the plan,they say oh yea I already have a set I'm going to put in,they have found what they like on sale and do it themselves.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

well im bumping this up, because the last couple nights i drove around in housing editions, (all $350,000+) somewhere around 1,000 houses i'm guessing. and 1 house out of all those had this low voltage lighting. thats why i am now getting into it. noone around here is offering it. and those houses need to be lit up! So this is definately a growig market. and i cant wait to get my share!

Always a lesson, never a failure.

www.meangreenlawncare.com
Old 05-14-2007, 12:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Well, I was looking to get into it until I found out you need to licensed here in CT. They just passed the law in 2006. So that's that!
Old 05-14-2007, 12:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
$10,000 per week left on the table
Noel, what context is $10,000, in general across a state, a town, per contractor, me ?

And if it's "me" I'm ready,
do you have a game plan for me you would like to share. I have decide recently that I would like to increase lighting to 90 % of my business. I haven't contacted the printer I use for postcards yet or the list people to do a mailing but I would like to get it started by mid June or before,

if you have any recommendations or suggestions that would speed things along in this endeavor please let me know