Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-05-2005, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Stihl 550 blowers

Does anyone have these yet? My dealer told me the other day that the fan has been blowing up on them. He said that if you dont use the end tube on the machine that the fan cant handel the air flow.
Old 06-05-2005, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnboy
Does anyone have these yet? My dealer told me the other day that the fan has been blowing up on them. He said that if you dont use the end tube on the machine that the fan cant handel the air flow.
Yeah I have one, haven't had any probs with it. As for why anyone would use it any other way than it was mfg'ed, that I dunno but the reason I bought it is because at the time, it was the same price as the 420c (400 bucks).

I like how I barely give it any throttle to clear the light debris left over from grass-cutting, half the time I can idle it along and it's very quiet and sounds professional until you crank it up, then it's a racket where at full throttle I think the br420's sound better.

Performance-wise, it's SUPPOSED to be stronger and maybe it is, but I can't tell there is a difference, other than it does not have LESS power to be sure. Guess it could be 5, maybe 10 percent stronger, dunno, but it's not like something that blew me away on that note I am not impressed - It's at least as strong as the br420c, and MAYBE it's stronger, but I can not tell.
Maybe later in the year with leaves, maybe then?

Peace out.
Old 06-06-2005, 01:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

They're OK

My former employer bought three of them.. At first I was quite skeptical, as the things sounded like they were gonna grenade at full throttle. However, After they broke in, they got alittle quieter and considerably stronger..
Would I buy one?
Probably not.

But not because I think it is a bogus product, quite contrare. I already have a Redmax7001...
Old 06-06-2005, 04:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I called two weeks ago and the dealer told me they were not selling them...

due to a recall...perhaps since then the problem has been taken care of...I bought one and returned it within the 7 days for full refund...I was not impressed and will stay with 2 cycle...
Old 06-06-2005, 09:23 AM
LawnSite Member

Don't waste your time with the small guns. Get a real magnum Redmax 8000 the only way to go. Mine just broke in and it's twisting my hips the other way. Talk about brute power.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Member

There is definitely some kind of problem with the BR-550 as the dealers are not allowed to sell them and have pulled them off the shelves. I heard from a local dealer that they were over heating and melting near the exhaust. It has to be a big problem for Stihl to quit selling them all together.

I tried one at an open house this spring and am now glad that I stayed with good old reliable 2 cycle equipment. I decided to go with the Echo PB-651 and it has a ton of power. It twists my arm out of socket when I hit full throttle.