Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-07-2005, 01:36 AM
LawnSite Member

What to do about vacation?

This is pretty much a obvious question but.. I've been planning this vacation this weekend for a long time now. We're supposed to leave late fri and come back tues. Well, it figures that this week it supposed to rain from wed to sun . Now who knows if it will, you know how the weather guys are! But what do you do in this situation, suck it up and forget about vacation in case it doesn't rain? Or chance it and hope it rains until I get back? I'm solo and don't really have anyone that can cover for me.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

vacation

yea rain wed till saturday, it will back me up and force me to work sunday, if it wasnt for the rain, i would try and help cover for you ....
6 full time
Old 06-07-2005, 11:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Vacation? This time of the year? Whats that
Old 06-07-2005, 12:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjgray
Vacation? This time of the year? Whats that
That's the way I feel. No vacations this time of year.

Maybe you could call the customers who will be expecting you and let them know that you are not forgetting them. Hopefully that doesn't mean 100's of phone calls.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

cut like mad

I try to take a couple long weekends during the year, and just cram it in and work my tail off before I leave and when I get home . I don't have anyone who can "cover me" while I'm gone, but someone who will help me when I get back to knock them out quicker.

We all need a break now and then, my general rule is that I will cut one day early/late at the most....
Old 06-08-2005, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You were on vacation all winter, the season is just starting. Get back to work.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairwayCuts
This is pretty much a obvious question but.. I've been planning this vacation this weekend for a long time now. We're supposed to leave late fri and come back tues. Well, it figures that this week it supposed to rain from wed to sun . Now who knows if it will, you know how the weather guys are! But what do you do in this situation, suck it up and forget about vacation in case it doesn't rain? Or chance it and hope it rains until I get back? I'm solo and don't really have anyone that can cover for me.
We have the same forecast as you. They are calling for 40 percent chance of rain those same days. Get out early each day before Friday and get them done. You say you won't be back until Tuesday they should be fine. Get out on Wednesday and bust butt.If it is as dry there as it is here you will be fine.

Last edited by jpp; 06-08-2005 at 09:43 PM.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I am also going away friday to late monday and for the most part solo. I added an extra helper and have been working my butt off to get everything done before friday.It hasnt rained all week so i got lucky there. I normally have one non mowing day so when i get back i shouldnt be very behind.

If i was in your position (with the rain) i would try to cut as much as possible and see whats left then decide if i have to cancel.Try to mow the customers that would most likely complain first that way if you do miss a couple it wont be bothering you all weekend. If at the end of the week there is just too much work to do then you have to cancel thats part of being self employed.

And no i dont have a vacation all winter we do snow removal (three trucks)and the past couple winters have kept us busy.Plus have to keep a part time job incase it doesnt snow and continue my firefighter training.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the insight guys. So much for the weather forecast! Didn't really see any rain during the day all week . So it's good cause I was able to get my lawns done, but man do we need some rain too. Can't wait to get to vacation though. We're going to a couple of Dave Matthews concerts in Indiana ! Its gonna be a blast!
Old 06-10-2005, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Vacation? Heck this time of year if I get one day off a month to lay on the couch I think I am on vacation.