Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-07-2005, 02:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Some ideas I had.. Are they good or are they stupid?

I am a new guy over here but I have a couple of interesting ideas.

1. I have two gas tanks in my truck. I plan to use one to carry lawn mower gasonline.. It that a bad idea? I figure I will pump it out of there through an inline filter and I can check the level with the switch inside of the cab there. (I have to get my own pump since my truck is older and there is no electric fuel pump inside the tank there)

2. I have kidney trouble and plan to drink water while mowing. I don't want to have my customer seeing me stop to piss so I figure I will drill a hole in the floorboard on the passenger side and always park over grass so I can piss anytime I care to without becoming arrested.

3. If my mower doesn't want to cut the grass, say it's too tall for example, can I put it in neutral and make someone pull me along behind the truck.. I mean will it cut better in that it's not having to move itself along?

4. If I go door knocking in a ritzy style area driving a fine automobile and wearing a well made suit and tie, get the job and then return in a hawaiian shirt - shorts - a 1983 chevy - with a four year old mower, will they become mad and angry with me?

5. Should I relocate once I establish a client base... Is it as bad of an idea as I think it is or will it help to be able to say "I've been cutting for ____ time and here are some references" I ask this because this godforsaken state full of ignorant and hostile idiots doesn't have cutting all year around and one winter working outside was enough for this guy.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yes all those ideas are very very good ones,you go ahead and get to them,very very good ideas every one will work just fine.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredMaxwell

1. I have two gas tanks in my truck. I plan to use one to carry lawn mower gasonline.. It that a bad idea? I figure I will pump it out of there through an inline filter and I can check the level with the switch inside of the cab there. (I have to get my own pump since my truck is older and there is no electric fuel pump inside the tank there)

2. I have kidney trouble and plan to drink water while mowing. I don't want to have my customer seeing me stop to piss so I figure I will drill a hole in the floorboard on the passenger side and always park over grass so I can piss anytime I care to without becoming arrested.

3. If my mower doesn't want to cut the grass, say it's too tall for example, can I put it in neutral and make someone pull me along behind the truck.. I mean will it cut better in that it's not having to move itself along?

4. If I go door knocking in a ritzy style area driving a fine automobile and wearing a well made suit and tie, get the job and then return in a hawaiian shirt - shorts - a 1983 chevy - with a four year old mower, will they become mad and angry with me?

5. Should I relocate once I establish a client base... Is it as bad of an idea as I think it is or will it help to be able to say "I've been cutting for ____ time and here are some references" I ask this because this godforsaken state full of ignorant and hostile idiots doesn't have cutting all year around and one winter working outside was enough for this guy.
1. Get gas cans.
2. Get a big water jug and label it clearly so you don't ever drink from it.
3. Won't work.
4. Wear a clean work uniform when you knock on doors and when you work.
5. Relocate before you start.
Congressman: I want to go to war.
All of Congress: I want to go to war.
Dick Cheney: I was the first one who wanted to go to war.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredMaxwell

1. I have two gas tanks in my truck. I plan to use one to carry lawn mower gasonline.. It that a bad idea? I figure I will pump it out of there through an inline filter and I can check the level with the switch inside of the cab there. (I have to get my own pump since my truck is older and there is no electric fuel pump inside the tank there)I would pull one of the tanks out of your truck and retrofit it to your mower directly. This will save the double transfer time.

2. I have kidney trouble and plan to drink water while mowing. I don't want to have my customer seeing me stop to piss so I figure I will drill a hole in the floorboard on the passenger side and always park over grass so I can piss anytime I care to without becoming arrested.Get dark grey/black pants and just "pizz where you stand". It will blend in and no one will know. Bring several pairs and switch while you are driving to the next account.

3. If my mower doesn't want to cut the grass, say it's too tall for example, can I put it in neutral and make someone pull me along behind the truck.. I mean will it cut better in that it's not having to move itself along?Excellent idea. I would pay a guy $8/hr minimum to sit in the truck all day incase I run into a yard with high grass. If he is not doing anything, he could help me change my pants between stops.

4. If I go door knocking in a ritzy style area driving a fine automobile and wearing a well made suit and tie, get the job and then return in a hawaiian shirt - shorts - a 1983 chevy - with a four year old mower, will they become mad and angry with me?Probably. I have been thinking of getting a Caddy, mounting a trailer hitch to it, and just mowing in a suit. Change your name to Best Dressed Lawn Care or something like that. Don't forget to wear dark suits due to your problem.

Sounds like a plan to me!
Old 06-07-2005, 10:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The scariest posts are the ones when you can't really tell if they're serious or not... He had me until the "pulling the mower with the truck" thing... Everything sounds like something that has been seriously discussed before.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

pagefault your on the wrong page.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Great reply Marko, LMAO!!!
Old 06-07-2005, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What about this, when your takin a piss have the customer come out and sharpen the blades for you so they dont see you.
As quoted by fellow member or lawn god "Fareway"
We had the throttle cranked and we roostered tailed out of there.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshovel
pagefault your on the wrong page.
Yeah, but it's in the newbie area, so I thought I'd post a serious answer anyway. Only took 14 seconds of my time...
Congressman: I want to go to war.
All of Congress: I want to go to war.
Dick Cheney: I was the first one who wanted to go to war.
Old 06-18-2005, 05:56 PM
LawnSite Member

I may be an odd character over here but of course I was serious.
Why would I not be?

When I'm out cutting a larger lot and my mower won't cut with me on it, why would it not help to pull it along with the truck?
Doesn't the mower use some of the power from the motor to move itself along?