Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-28-2001, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

In the Green industry there are a lot of avenues to go into. The primary services my company offer are mowing, turf treatment, and light landscaping. My target is residential and small commercial.

Sometimes my mind wonders into different areas. Example hydro-seeding, irrigation,tree cutting etc. Or bidding on large government and commercial contracts.

To try and go into these foreign ares will cause my whole game plan to go to pieces and get in way over my head.

How do you guys stay within your niche. Everything that is green does not apply to everyone. (jack of all trades but is not a master of anything)

How do you guys stay focused?
Old 02-28-2001, 03:23 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Because we are a smaller company like yourself we often turn to the aid of others when we bid on something extremely large. By joining forces with our colleagues in the Industry we are able to bid against the major players and still keep it small.

When it comes to services that we are just not equipped for we sub them out. Some of these types would be irrigation/arborists/hydro-seeding/etc.

Hope this helps.
Kris
Old 02-28-2001, 04:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am in the same boat. I have another LC that handles my irrigation. any large landscapes Ect. This company is not into maintenance much so he will refer customers back to me. It has worked out well.

[Edited by greenquestlawn on 02-28-2001 at 09:07 PM]
Old 03-01-2001, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Member

A good circle of subs has really helped in the areas where my company has no expertise. We sub a lot of stuff that we dont know how to do, and a lot of other stuff that we dont want to do. I watch where we make the best money and concentrate on that. when we sub stuff out it gets marked up 10%. If people call for something way out of the ordinary we refer it away. The danger with subs is that in the end you are responsible for their work. Find good subs!