Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-11-2005, 12:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Flowspan Slipfixes say on the the unit itself to leave it in midtravel position and to restrain all pipe movement.

Obviously, that means backfill it well, and don't use them in valveboxes etc.

The KwikRepair is superior by not having any O-rings, but I personally don't ever use plastic unions (We use brass when hooking up our BFP's).

I've had on slipfix fail on me so far, and it was because we pressurized a line before backfilling, and the pressure pushed the slipfix apart.
Old 06-11-2005, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I wonder if using blue glue might be too fast-setting for the KwikRepair. As for fixing a mainline with 2 sch 80 unions and a bit of pipe, I'd think you could measure before you cut the pieces, glue the union-with-nut ends onto the inground pipe, and place the just-freshly-assembled patch piece with the union mating pieces into the space, and allow the natural tendency of the pipe to push itself out of the fittings force the patch piece to completely fill the gap.
Old 06-12-2005, 09:44 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Nothing like breaking the ear off of one side of a snap ring holding an "under pressure" check valve in a Toro 690 valve in head.....complaining a bit about the stupid plastic snap rings...then gripping the other side of the snap ring...standing up and pulling as hard as you can....and getting very wet, being very scared, feeling very stupid as you run to the nearest lateral to turn the valve off, looking like you just got out of the shower with your clothes on.

It is actually very dangerous....I can't believe more rookie irrigation techs on golf courses don't get hurt badly when doing this.

good news about doing it though...you will only do it once.
Old 06-12-2005, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots
I wonder if using blue glue might be too fast-setting for the KwikRepair. As for fixing a mainline with 2 sch 80 unions and a bit of pipe, I'd think you could measure before you cut the pieces, glue the union-with-nut ends onto the inground pipe, and place the just-freshly-assembled patch piece with the union mating pieces into the space, and allow the natural tendency of the pipe to push itself out of the fittings force the patch piece to completely fill the gap.
First time I got my hands on the Kwik Repairs I made it a mission to TRY and blow one up via water hammer, pressurizing to soon, etc. Using wet or dry blue glue, I popped a fitting I hadn't planned on working on instead of the repair coupling.......I then decided I had tried hard enough.
....but still a bargain compared to anything else.
And I NEVER say I told you so out loud.
How many Hats can you wear?
Old 06-12-2005, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprinklerGuy
Nothing like breaking the ear off of one side of a snap ring holding an "under pressure" check valve in a Toro 690 valve in head.....complaining a bit about the stupid plastic snap rings...then gripping the other side of the snap ring...standing up and pulling as hard as you can....and getting very wet, being very scared, feeling very stupid as you run to the nearest lateral to turn the valve off, looking like you just got out of the shower with your clothes on.

It is actually very dangerous....I can't believe more rookie irrigation techs on golf courses don't get hurt badly when doing this.

good news about doing it though...you will only do it once.
yep, and I LIVE in my $5 saftey glasses. Get me a clear pair for long days during the short day periods in spring and fall. The number of guys wandering around out there who insist on wearing the $100 ray bands who can still see amazes me. Why don't these kids get a clue and wear SAFTEY glasses???
....but still a bargain compared to anything else.
And I NEVER say I told you so out loud.
How many Hats can you wear?
Old 01-21-2013, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Instant Rain View Post
Here is a repair I did a few years ago. I'm not proud of it but there are many things in it that show exactly what not to do.

The pipe is 6 inch sch40 the tee is glued in with a reducer to 4 inches sch40
the 90s are glued in. and the blue pipe is gasketed 4inch class 200.

This was a reroute for new campus being placed on an old golf course
some or the gate valves were dated 1969. alot of iron and cement asbestos pipe. an asbestos removal company installed the six inch mainline after
removing the old pipe.

this picture was taken 2 months before the cement bag used as a thrust block in the 4inch blue pipe failed the pipe pushed snaped the 90 and peices of it were found 200 feet away.
So other than the 4" class 200... what would you do differently? I'm asking 'cause I don't know. Are you saying you'd use different fittings and not the 90's?
Old 01-21-2013, 12:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicmudpuppy View Post
yep, and I LIVE in my $5 saftey glasses. Get me a clear pair for long days during the short day periods in spring and fall. The number of guys wandering around out there who insist on wearing the $100 ray bands who can still see amazes me. Why don't these kids get a clue and wear SAFTEY glasses???
It's all about the eye men.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-21-2013, 12:25 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Bumping a thread that's almost 8 years old....
Old 01-21-2013, 02:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by irrig8r View Post
Bumping a thread that's almost 8 years old....
Yes he did and you might find this interesting.

My buddy works for the school district, they had to work sat and sun to repair a 4 in slipfix gone bad.

Seems the main had been repaired in july, the end of the body blew out, cracked around the body where the pipe was glued.

I will try to get pics
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-21-2013, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would love to see those picture's. 4" telescoping coupler's can be a giant cluster****. Steel mechanical coupler's for anything bigger than 3", no exception's.