Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-27-2000, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Has anyone ever used or heard anything about these? It's EarthWay brand and has 13x4 pneumatic tires and 100lb. cap. also has a stainless steel shut-off plate. Supposedly commercial grade. Southern States price $120. Any info would be appreciated. Grateful
Old 04-27-2000, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Ive got two of them they hold up well. As long as the guys dont run it over with the trucks!
Old 04-27-2000, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Member

from what i have read in the past they say that they dont stay calibrated well and the frams rust out,i just bought a lesco with a stainless frame and a rain cover and a side shute for curb sides for 335.00 and i really like it,<p>scott
Old 04-28-2000, 05:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You want a speader that is constructed entirely of stainless steel with stainless hardware.<p>I've owned 2 Earthways and they're not bad. I prefer Lesco or Spiker, but get all Stainless regardless of the brand you buy.
Old 04-29-2000, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Well I went to H. Depot with my wife today, it was too to do anything else and it &quot;just&quot; rained another .25&quot;. <br> Well the spreader had several pages of setting but no setting for the Lesco Starter fert. that I was going to use. So unless Lesco or Earthway can provide a setting I'll probably look at something else or get it and wing it. It did look pretty good. They had a Lesco but not all stainless for about twice as much. I'm bidding on several new homes for the landscaping and need to use a starter fert.
Old 05-02-2000, 07:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Grateful<p>Have used and been thru two earthway spreaders in 7 years and each of them broke the same way. For some reason the slide adjuster to close off the left hole when going along beds would eventually start contacting the spinner. Bought a lesco SS spreader this year and LOVE it.
Old 05-02-2000, 07:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

CMerLand: I had problems with the slide holes on the Earthway as well! Just yesterday I went to adjust both of them and both snapped right off into my hand from having the fertilizers eat through the metal posts. I am going to try and contact them to see if I can purchase just the metal &quot;slotted&quot; plate underneath the hopper since everything else on it still works fine. <p>Yes I do wash and clean it often.
Old 05-02-2000, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Scraper,<p>You should be able to get that part from an earthway dealer. We had replaced ours in the past and were able to get the replacement parts from this dealer. The problem though kept returning which is why we went with the Lesco spreaders.
Old 05-03-2000, 02:29 AM
LawnSite Member

Had the same problem with my earthway spreader. It was less than a year old. I wasn't to pleased when two width adjusting plates snapped of at the rivet were they are attached. The real pisser is I was not even pushing hard on them. My next spreader won't be a earthway. They also don't have a positive spring loaded on off like the shindawia spreader. Speaking of which has anyone tried the shindawia spreader?
Old 05-03-2000, 07:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

CMerLand and Northwest: I shot Erthway an e-mail yesterday telling them about that plate and how the plates snapped off. They are sending me a new plate at no cost to me! Needless to say I am satisfied with their response to my problem!