Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-25-2005, 12:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

There must have been quite a bit of slope on that yard, its really hard to tell though, because at first glance it looked like you raised the yard behind the retaining wall

I kinda liked the privacy that the old hedge's gave, but your landscape is definitly an improvement
Old 06-25-2005, 01:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yah, the privacy was nice. We miss it a little. But the landscape was boring. And I'm trying to establish our company as one of the premeir landscaping companies in the area. And I didn't really have a very showy landscape. Many of the other top landscapers already DO. I think people around here kind of judge your work by your own landscape. So I had to set the standard. Since we did it, we get nothing but compliments. People drive by every day and tell us how much better it looks. Many of them ask for a card and I've even got 4-5 calls from it. So I guess it worked.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 06-25-2005, 01:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i wish they had the pondless system when i built my pond
the pond is a pain sometimes to take care of but i like the fish
but if i had to do it over again no pond just the waterfall
Old 06-25-2005, 01:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLewis
Yah, the privacy was nice. We miss it a little. But the landscape was boring. And I'm trying to establish our company as one of the premeir landscaping companies in the area. And I didn't really have a very showy landscape. Many of the other top landscapers already DO. I think people around here kind of judge your work by your own landscape. So I had to set the standard. Since we did it, we get nothing but compliments. People drive by every day and tell us how much better it looks. Many of them ask for a card and I've even got 4-5 calls from it. So I guess it worked.

What do you think you've invested total into the landscape? I get asked to do landscape jobs on the side all the time, and I'm trying to get an idea how to price things.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Jim... nice job. Very nice.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:53 PM
LawnSite Member

jim,nice waterfeature! i will be doing my 1st pondless next week. really excited pondless is definetly the way to go.btw appreciate all the informative posts they help out alot to a guy who only has a few years in the biz.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonHolland
What do you think you've invested total into the landscape? I get asked to do landscape jobs on the side all the time, and I'm trying to get an idea how to price things.
I think I've got approx. $11962.50 invested in the landscape. And a lot of that I got at less than wholesale. If you're really interested in the exact breakdown, I could send you the breakdown via email if you want. It's in an MS Excel File - a list of all the expenses. (jim@lewislandscape.com)

I also saved a lot of money in labor by having friends and family help out. It would have been a lot more had I paid my workers to do it all. Fortunately, a lot of family members owed me from me doing landscape work for them at cost. So it was payback time. It was a long, sweaty, 3-day weekend with some 14 hour days in there.

Old 06-29-2005, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtx1300
Jim... nice job. Very nice.
Thanks everyone for the compliments. The pictures really don't do it justice though. The landscape looks so much better in person than it does in those pictures.

Also, I haven't figured out how to take a good picture of the night lighting. But the landscape at night is almost more impressive than it is during the day. We have installed 35 lights (over 700w total!) all over the landscape. Every big tree or focal point is lit up with one or two spotlights or well lights. The waterfall is lit up with 4 spotlights and an underwater light under the top waterfall. Pathway lights on both sides of the driveway and down the pathway that goes down the side of my house. Down spotlights on the columns by the front door. The smaller bubbler rock water feature by the front door is lit up too. It looks like Disneyland every night from 9:30 p.m. to 1:00 a.m. I think I enjoy the landscape more at night than I do during the day.

I'm glad it's all over. Now we just get to enjoy it.

Old 06-30-2005, 02:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLewis
Thanks everyone for the compliments. The pictures really don't do it justice though. The landscape looks so much better in person than it does in those pictures.

Also, I haven't figured out how to take a good picture of the night lighting. But the landscape at night is almost more impressive than it is during the day. We have installed 35 lights (over 700w total!) all over the landscape. Every big tree or focal point is lit up with one or two spotlights or well lights. The waterfall is lit up with 4 spotlights and an underwater light under the top waterfall. Pathway lights on both sides of the driveway and down the pathway that goes down the side of my house. Down spotlights on the columns by the front door. The smaller bubbler rock water feature by the front door is lit up too. It looks like Disneyland every night from 9:30 p.m. to 1:00 a.m. I think I enjoy the landscape more at night than I do during the day.

I'm glad it's all over. Now we just get to enjoy it.

Did you use the frog lights LED lighting? At $60 a pop I can imagine that would add up fast
Old 06-30-2005, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have never heard of that. What are frog lights?