Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-08-2005, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Interesting conversation at gas pump

Had an interesting conversation at gas station this AM. Was fueling truck and 3 guys in a dually with 2 mowers on trailer got to pump next to me. The one mower looked HUGE. It was a new Hustler, 6ft deck, diesel. Had a 25hp, 5ft Skag behind it that looked like a toy next to the Hustler. I got to talking to the driver and asked what it weighed, it looked so massive. He said 'alot'. I asked if it had a 6ft deck, he said 'no, it's 72inches'. I asked what they cut with that big rig and he said 'a lot of grass'. I thought, this is a real smartazz. He finally started bragging about the contract they had, they had won the bid for the East St. Louis School district grass cutting. I had seen it in the paper, but for various reasons, trash and neighborhood being two of them, didn't even inquire. He said it was 23 grade schools, 1 high school, numerous athletic fields and odd lots. Then he floored me. He said, 'yeah we beat out the big boys real good, got it for $150,000 for the year, when they were bidding $250,000 and up'. And he was dead serious. When he went in to pay I asked one of the other 2 guys if it took all week for the 3 of them, he said they usually had several friends help out a day or 2 to get it done in the week. No weed control, just mowing grass and trimming sidewalk cracks and spraying parking lots.
Will he be around long if he is happy he beat the big buys by $100,000 on one job for 1 year? Its like the guys who bid 32000, 54000, and 65000 on a job that the 2 high bidders put at 85000 and 92000(mine). You got to wonder about their experience at bidding and how they plan on making a profit on top of wages and expenses.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wow

i'D SAY THAT GUY IS A REAL NUT!iF HE IS PAYING 3 FULL TIME AND 2 PART TIME EMPLOYEES PLUS EXPENSES,THEY WILL PROBABLY REPO THE HUSTLER BY THE ED OF THE YEAR.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

My guess is these are the only two mowers they have.
What happens when a mower breaks down or it rains for a week?

Low bidder gets the job, next year there will be another to take their place.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have absolutely no desire to get into work like that.

None whatsoever.

Ps 23:1-2
The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in GREEN PASTURES
Old 06-08-2005, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like they're booked solid with that account, which you did not want. So, they are out of your hair and unlikely to have time to bid on anything else. Sounds good to me.
Congressman: I want to go to war.
All of Congress: I want to go to war.
Dick Cheney: I was the first one who wanted to go to war.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats a shaddy part of town man.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassyfras
That is putting it mildly. We have mowed the housing projects down there off and on for 6 years, and I didn't even bid the last time, finally had my fill of trash, flat tires, rocks thrown at us while we mowed, trash cans overturned in front of us, daring you to say anything and the housing authority requiring you to pick up the trash, claims for broken car windows and scratched paint for cars , etc. Didn't bid because I was afraid of having my insurance cancelled if I had any more claims. The insurance company denied all that came in, but I'm sure they ahd a counter going somewhere with a magic number that said cancell when it got to it. Then I'd be screwed for all my accounts.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:31 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve122
That is putting it mildly. We have mowed the housing projects down there off and on for 6 years, and I didn't even bid the last time, finally had my fill of trash, flat tires, rocks thrown at us while we mowed, trash cans overturned in front of us, daring you to say anything and the housing authority requiring you to pick up the trash, claims for broken car windows and scratched paint for cars , etc. Didn't bid because I was afraid of having my insurance cancelled if I had any more claims. The insurance company denied all that came in, but I'm sure they ahd a counter going somewhere with a magic number that said cancell when it got to it. Then I'd be screwed for all my accounts.
My father in law asked why I didnt jump in the bidding for the HOA developments here. NO WAY. The people aint that bad but I just dont wanna deal with the trash and BS. It would take me 5 days a week here and the winning bid would of been like 15 an hour after my expenses
Old 06-09-2005, 04:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve122
Hey it can't be that bad now !!!!!!!!!!!!!! I mean i wouldn't even take a new mower out there i would load it and walk to the truck and it would be on blocks with no motor deck tires seat or gas !!!! Any of you MO guys mow in O'Fallon or St.Peters area? Hazel wood and so on ??
Old 06-09-2005, 07:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassyfras
Shady part of town, to say the least, I would have to agree...

I would not have done the job for what the high bidders were bidding..