Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-09-2005, 11:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

He is a nut for bragging about leaving $100,000.00 on the table.

If he could find a way to get it done with 3 Full Time guys working 10 hour days, 20 days per month, for a 5 month season, then he would be grossing $50 per man per hour. Throw in a few weeks that won't need mowing, or big areas that can be skipped occassionally while school is out, and he would be grossing more than $50 per man hour.

This would be a good bid to win but, not so good at $150,000.

I would be good at $150,000 if three guys alone could do it all without having to hire PTs. (this is without consideration for the neighborhood.)
Old 06-09-2005, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvmcmrhp52
My guess is these are the only two mowers they have.
What happens when a mower breaks down or it rains for a week?

Low bidder gets the job, next year there will be another to take their place.
what does a week of rain have to do with anything? He would do nothing and get paid for it from the sound of it.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvmcmrhp52
Low bidder gets the job, next year there will be another to take their place.
There is a guy on here that got a school district. Does that make HIM a lowballer? Period.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remsen1
He is a nut for bragging about leaving $100,000.00 on the table.

If he could find a way to get it done with 3 Full Time guys working 10 hour days, 20 days per month, for a 5 month season, then he would be grossing $50 per man per hour. Throw in a few weeks that won't need mowing, or big areas that can be skipped occassionally while school is out, and he would be grossing more than $50 per man hour.

This would be a good bid to win but, not so good at $150,000.

I would be good at $150,000 if three guys alone could do it all without having to hire PTs. (this is without consideration for the neighborhood.)
The neighborhood itself isn't so much the problem as the attitude of the people living there. In the projects it is nothing to have rocks thrown at you while you mow, trash cans dumped in front of you as you watch, broken bottles, trash by the truck load, and attitude up the whazoo. Not to mention the nusiance insurance claims. When you're mowing around the schools, you have the problem of all the kids on playgrounds and fields during school hours so you have to try to mow around the activities. You can loose a lot of time just waiting for kids to get our of your way when you are trying to mow. I doubt you could gross $50 per man hour.
Old 06-10-2005, 06:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

When I started reading the first post the equipment list sounded remarkably similar to our own. K3500 6.5 diesel, 16 foot trailer,JD 72" 997ZTR, JD 54" 655ZTR and trimmers. Last year we cut 22 schools with 3 WOMAN crew. Also cut factories and a church and a couple of large rural resi's, on a one week cycle. Alot depends on the condition and scale of the schools. By the way 997 is 1800 lbs and 'Bambi' is 1100 lbs. (well... what else would you call a baby Deere)
Old 06-10-2005, 09:38 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
The neighborhood itself isn't so much the problem as the attitude of the people living there. In the projects it is nothing to have rocks thrown at you while you mow,
That would be about the time i shut the mower down and walk to the truck , call the EMS and say ya better hurry up cause im about to unleash a can of whip ass on some rock throwers down here, and take a ball bat and just knock the living **** out of spinless thugs like this,

About one good time or so that crap would come to a halt ,
Old 06-10-2005, 10:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&KLawnCare
That would be about the time i shut the mower down and walk to the truck , call the EMS and say ya better hurry up cause im about to unleash a can of whip ass on some rock throwers down here, and take a ball bat and just knock the living **** out of spinless thugs like this,

About one good time or so that crap would come to a halt ,
I was waiting for the self professed Rambo wannabees to show up

Old 06-10-2005, 11:39 AM
LawnSite Member

(I was waiting for the self professed Rambo wannabees to show up)

Well i tell ya what you just let someone throw rocks at you and maybe cause bodly harm or damage a piece of equipment if you want to but . US WestByGod Virginia Farm boys will not and do not Put up with some Welfare greasy headed , to lazy to friggin work bum who wants to throw rocks , We will and Can kick ass , Now ya want to see how self proclamied rambo i am just come on down and toss a rock at me while im mowing and ill show ya how fast a 140 lb man can come unglued . Theirs no sence in anyone having to put up with **** like that , If the damned legal syestem and Pussies wearing blue would do their jobs , and Earn their paychecks maybe this crap wouldnt happen . Lmao i could just see someone tossing a rock at someone down in texas Like bill (Tatersalad) White once said They have the death pentality and usssseeeeeee it , While other gut less states wanna let 6 time death row idoits live so our taxes pay for it overcrowding jails , Texas is putting in a express lane .
Old 06-10-2005, 12:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I can see a 140 lb man getting off a mower in the ghetto with a ball bat and getting shot in less than two seconds.
Old 06-10-2005, 02:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimmygew
I can see a 140 lb man getting off a mower in the ghetto with a ball bat and getting shot in less than two seconds.
Ditto that. With the kind of idiots we got running around here in Cincy, it's just not worth it to work in the ghetto. I did some HUD homes last year. Always got one eye on your stuff, and one eye on the idiots on the corner who are watching you work. Now, I'm a big boy and I can take care of myself, but two fists ain't got **** on some idiots with guns who don't give a damn about shooting you.

language

Last edited by Charles; 06-10-2005 at 03:03 PM.