Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-10-2005, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't take a ball bat to a gun fight, especially in E StL.....
Old 06-10-2005, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawncare4u
i'D SAY THAT GUY IS A REAL NUT!iF HE IS PAYING 3 FULL TIME AND 2 PART TIME EMPLOYEES PLUS EXPENSES,THEY WILL PROBABLY REPO THE HUSTLER BY THE ED OF THE YEAR.
yeah cuz when I was new the f'n scammers tried to get me to do big contracts and I was told by SEVERAL experienced lawnguys NEVER to estimate a large year-long contract without at LEAST 2 or 3 experienced folks along to help.
So I always tell people on large contracts I'll be bringing a couple friends to help with a closer estimate and wouldn't you guess it, that IMMEDIATELY dampens the enthusiasm from a 9 to about a 2, which tells me it was a scam waiting to happen.
Now in this case it isn't a scam, but then why did someone else bid 250k? I mean, whenever someone outbids me, I always wonder: What did they see that I missed? I don't like bidding because in the end you know: LOWEST bidder (and if that's you, work for free).
That smart guy gonna work his tail off and come to a rude awakening a few months down the road (especially when he finds out a LOT of contract jobs don't pay for at LEAST the first 90 days, some take as long as 180 days to pay the first bill). Hell yeah, LOL, he will be slipping in his own slickness.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve122
The neighborhood itself isn't so much the problem as the attitude of the people living there. In the projects it is nothing to have rocks thrown at you while you mow, trash cans dumped in front of you as you watch, broken bottles, trash by the truck load, and attitude up the whazoo. Not to mention the nusiance insurance claims. When you're mowing around the schools, you have the problem of all the kids on playgrounds and fields during school hours so you have to try to mow around the activities. You can loose a lot of time just waiting for kids to get our of your way when you are trying to mow. I doubt you could gross $50 per man hour.
Well now no I don't have that problem cauz before I go out there, I dress like scrub and make sure to pack the old WB that's all beat up and the truck is dented anyway and it's an '86 so all that helps :-)
Only thing that bothers me is the dead cat, but not how it got there, I'm cool with that, just the smell of it, arrrrggghhh...
Old 06-10-2005, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&KLawnCare
That would be about the time i shut the mower down and walk to the truck , call the EMS and say ya better hurry up cause im about to unleash a can of whip ass on some rock throwers down here, and take a ball bat and just knock the living **** out of spinless thugs like this,

About one good time or so that crap would come to a halt ,
Then they pull a gun.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
(I was waiting for the self professed Rambo wannabees to show up)

Well i tell ya what you just let someone throw rocks at you and maybe cause bodly harm or damage a piece of equipment if you want to but . US WestByGod Virginia Farm boys will not and do not Put up with some Welfare greasy headed , to lazy to friggin work bum who wants to throw rocks , We will and Can kick ass , Now ya want to see how self proclamied rambo i am just come on down and toss a rock at me while im mowing and ill show ya how fast a 140 lb man can come unglued . Theirs no sence in anyone having to put up with **** like that , If the damned legal syestem and Pussies wearing blue would do their jobs , and Earn their paychecks maybe this crap wouldnt happen . Lmao i could just see someone tossing a rock at someone down in texas Like bill (Tatersalad) White once said They have the death pentality and usssseeeeeee it , While other gut less states wanna let 6 time death row idoits live so our taxes pay for it overcrowding jails , Texas is putting in a express lane .

Well sonny boy, when you can push my WB like it's a pushmower AND you can weed-eat with one weedeater in each hand, you're still no contest for their guns.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heather lawn sp
When I started reading the first post the equipment list sounded remarkably similar to our own. K3500 6.5 diesel, 16 foot trailer,JD 72" 997ZTR, JD 54" 655ZTR and trimmers. Last year we cut 22 schools with 3 WOMAN crew. Also cut factories and a church and a couple of large rural resi's, on a one week cycle. Alot depends on the condition and scale of the schools. By the way 997 is 1800 lbs and 'Bambi' is 1100 lbs. (well... what else would you call a baby Deere)
Thanks for the info on the mowers, bet you don't take them in the low spots after a hard rain.
22 schools in a good neighborhood, with residents who care about each other, and their surroundings could/should be do-able as you describe. These schools are in a city with the lowest income levels in the state, 65-70% of residents on welfare, no industry or jobs, drug dealers on every corner, corrupt city hall, patronage and cronyizm on the school board and in the schools. You would spend a good percentage of your time picking up trash, fixing flat tires because of the broken wine whiskey and beer bottles that litter the place. It is not the kind of environment that is conducive to effficient operations. Every bit of equipment you are not holding in your hand has to be under lock and key at every moment. It isn't just a matter of going an mowing and trimming. No one in the neighborhood or the school is going to lift one finger to pick up any trash that is thrown down, no one will offer any assistance if you are bothered by passing drug addicts or alcoholics, the kids stand and stare at you as if no one has ever told them a mower is dangerous and that they should move out of the area, and when you stop, shut off the mower and politely ask them to move out of the area for 5 minutes so you can mow, they look at you like your stupid and go on with what they were doing. As an example of the attitude we have to put up with I'll tell this story.One of my employees is black, is married to a white woman. They work together in one of the low income housing projects that we mow. This spring she was picking up trash in an area to be mowed, and one of the residents got in an argument with her about how well she was picking up the trash. Now, bear in mind the housing authority has a full time emplyee whose only job is SUPPOSED to be picking up trash, 40 hours a week. We usually fill 4-5 55gal heavy duty trash bags before we can cut the grass. So, this black gal proceeds to tell her 'a white ***** like you should be down on your hands and knees picking up that trash, cause of the way you white folks have treated us'. Well when the shouting and hairpulling was over, and the cops had gone home, I get a call from the housing authority threatening to pull our contract becasue of the way my employee acted. Not all residents are like this, there are some really nice people whom we have met over the years and they live in fear of the radicals and drug dealers also. But, with those conditions and attitudes, I don't think your 22 schools can be compared to this. $150,000 is not enough money for this job.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
That would be about the time i shut the mower down and walk to the truck , call the EMS and say ya better hurry up cause im about to unleash a can of whip ass on some rock throwers down here, and take a ball bat and just knock the living **** out of spinless thugs like this,

About one good time or so that crap would come to a halt ,
That might work in your neighborhood, but in E. St. Louis, you would be signing you death certificate. In these neighborhoods everyone has a gun, everyone is looking for an excuse to prove his manhood, and don't you dare DIS them or you won't make it to your truck to get your bat. These are mean streets, and the tough guy routine is only going to escalate it to a situation that you can't handle. I keep my cell phone in shirt pocket and more than once have pulled it and dialled 911. when they see you dialing they scatter cause the law in these neighborhoods would rather bust their head than cuff em and put em in the car. We go early in morning, try to be out of neighborhood by noon or so when most of teh trouble makers are just getting started after a long night. My macho pride isn't worth getting killed for.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
(I was waiting for the self professed Rambo wannabees to show up)

Well i tell ya what you just let someone throw rocks at you and maybe cause bodly harm or damage a piece of equipment if you want to but . US WestByGod Virginia Farm boys will not and do not Put up with some Welfare greasy headed , to lazy to friggin work bum who wants to throw rocks , We will and Can kick ass , Now ya want to see how self proclamied rambo i am just come on down and toss a rock at me while im mowing and ill show ya how fast a 140 lb man can come unglued . Theirs no sence in anyone having to put up with **** like that , If the damned legal syestem and Pussies wearing blue would do their jobs , and Earn their paychecks maybe this crap wouldnt happen . Lmao i could just see someone tossing a rock at someone down in texas Like bill (Tatersalad) White once said They have the death pentality and usssseeeeeee it , While other gut less states wanna let 6 time death row idoits live so our taxes pay for it overcrowding jails , Texas is putting in a express lane .
Wow, look how tough you are on the internet. I bet a lot of people are impressed now.

Old 06-11-2005, 08:38 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
That might work in your neighborhood, but in E. St. Louis, you would be signing you death certificate. In these neighborhoods everyone has a gun, everyone is looking for an excuse to prove his manhood,
Thats not proving man hood to me ya know what it proves to me in these big cities whene they do that.

they prove that they are nothing but mouth running , gun toting , think their bucky bad ass because they have a gun , Reason they have the gun they know damn well in a good hard street fight they would be dead , Cause only a PUSSY brings a Gun to a fist fight , Ball bats make good putters to Put a gun out of some ones hands provided ya get close enough
Old 06-11-2005, 08:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
cause the law in these neighborhoods would rather bust their head than cuff em and put em in the car..
Must not or ya wouldnt have these friggen jerks in society ,

Just like the friggen law running 1/2 scared at big street gangs Like ms-13 and other s . Ahhhhhh Give me a break ya know the gang is all killers and a waste of oxygen to be left alive , grab a damn swat team and arm their ass with ak-47s and in one round of action ya could mow down the gang , But ya have to many damn bledding hearts in this world , Kill thousands of ours in the towers but oh my god dont touch one of those towel head MF'rs or ya have hell . Bullshit if it would have been up to me we would be redrawing Maps , Cause irag,afganistan, kuwait would be a big friggen hole in the ground .

Last edited by C&KLawnCare; 06-11-2005 at 08:46 AM.