Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-01-2000, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Member

I just started doing aeration this year and rented a machine. This machine was a Blue Bird and I gotta say raising and lowering the wheels on each pass is a royal pain,literally. Any machines out there that are more user friendly? Anybody ever use a ride-on model?<br>
Old 05-01-2000, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey, how much work do you do? How much do you want to spend? <p>Probably I am like you-- just starting out with an aerating service. I did a lot/mucho reading up on the topic. Core aerating is the only way to go...<p>This year for my money, I bought a used Ryan Lawnaire V walk behind machine. I had to refurbish it this winter, but am starting to capture $$$ already. For about $5k you could get into the Cadillac Ryan Lawnaire 28. It is much more user friendly; it is configured on a three wheel setup for real agile maneuvering, and used a cam type config to plunge the tines into the soil, unlike my unit which operates like a drum.<p>Own a Z? I looked real hard at a JrCO front mount plugger aerator. It lists for about $1300 with the electric lift solenoid. Would definitely demo whatever you plan to purchase before handing over the dough. Hope this is helpful.<p><p><br>Call Jrco direct @ 800 966 8442. They are out of Minneapolis, MN<p><br>
Old 05-01-2000, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Member

that front mount aerator sounds really nice. anybody got one? they got a web site?
Old 05-02-2000, 07:11 AM
LawnSite Member

looked at the jrco unit didnt seem like it would pull good plugs. I`m always willing to spend money on a machine that will pay for itself and make my life easier.
Old 05-02-2000, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Member

Hey has anyone used those cheap 48&quot; plug aereators that you see at Lowe's or home depot. I am talking about the ones that cost about $100 and are pulled behind the mower by a hitch. DO THESE WORK????
Old 05-02-2000, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

ive checked them out grassboy. they dont have enough plugs... there space very far apart. youd have to go over a lawn about 5 times for it to pull as amny plugs per sq ft as a ryan walk behind... the quality also sucks on those.
Old 05-03-2000, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Member

Going over it 5 times wouldn't matter to me because they are only a few lawns who requested it, and $100 is a whole lot better than $3000 Ryan Air.
Old 05-03-2000, 07:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Grassboy, rent a walk behind for a day and you could do at least 5 yards. Buying an aerator doesn't make sense in your case, and buying a $100 aerator is wasting $100. They don't pull out the plugs regardless of what the Lowe's salesperson tells you.
Old 05-03-2000, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

So you buy a 100.00 unit from the hardware store. You won't impress anyone when they see you driving all over the lawn several times just to get lousy quality. Keep in mind ... going through the motions is not doing a quality, professional job. Clients that are impressed with quality work and the way in which you perform that quality work, reffer other good clinets. You won't be impressing anybody when you are trying to pound the bends out of the coring tines, or you are trying to somehow hold the machine together until you can get off of the lawn. Better to not offer a service than to embaress yourself doing it wrong...trust me! I've done my share of doing it wrong...doing it the right way with the right tools does matter.