Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-10-2005, 12:25 PM
LawnSite Member

health

Besides the sunburn, what are some long term health problems you all have experience from operating a lawn or landscaping co.
Old 06-10-2005, 02:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Bigrig1, Be sure to wear protective equipment, Hearing protectors and safety glasses are I feel the most important things. I never start without them. Eyesight and hearing are precious and I hope to enjoy them for a long time.
Old 06-10-2005, 02:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Definitely invest in a set of earplugs and wear them. You don't realize how loud the mower is until a tree branch yanks one out. Scares the crap out of me everytime...
Old 06-10-2005, 04:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Getting hooked on anti-depressants dealing with ahole customers is something to keep in mind IMO...
Old 06-10-2005, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

At the end of the long days,my knees sometimes hurt. I think it might be from bouncing around the the velke. Anyone else experience this?
Old 06-10-2005, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Carpal tunnel, worn out knees Lack of social life. Sleep deprivation from worrying about the one you missed.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a bad lower back and to avoid the aggravation that a rider causes to it I'm thinking about going to a stander. My knees aren't in great shape either, what's your guys experience w/ a stander.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett
Carpal tunnel, worn out knees Lack of social life. Sleep deprivation from worrying about the one you missed.

Is the lack of social life due to working too many days & too many hrs or are you too tired to go out after shutting down for the day. I worry about this subject too. I have two small kids and am thinking about going full time next year w/ mowing & landscape maintenance. I have every intention on hiring atleast one guy probably two when I do this. If me & my guys are working full 9 hrs days 5 days/week will I still have enough energy? I'm really not asking for you to answer this as you don't know me & I'm really just talking out loud here but what's your experience after being under the sun all day?
Old 06-11-2005, 05:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett
this is why i don't sweat the one i missed. i have written this down a million times on the blackboard:" THIS IS BUSINESS, NOTHING PERSONAL. THIS IS BUSINESS, NOTHING PERSONAL, THIS IS BUSINESS, NOTHING PERSONAL............." if i miss a few, i miss a few, they call, whimper, whine, moan, i don't let it effect me. BUT I WILL ADMIT, i've spent many sleepless nights tossing and turning when i'm owed money, and i think someone is trying to pull a fast one. other than that, i am very concerned about overexposure to sun, and pesticides, and dust. hearing and eye protection are a must, but do you know, even if you're not applying chemicals, you are still over exposed because you are cutting the lawn. fertilzers, lime, herbicides, fungicides, insecticides, and god knows what else....it all becomes airborn as we drive around and cut the lawn, and ends up in our lungs. yes, i'm worried
Old 06-11-2005, 07:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Skin cancer is a very real risk too. Cover yourself properly, or wear sunscreen, wear eye and ear protection to keep your eyesight, and hearing. if you're putting pesticides and fertilizers down, additional protective gear would be recommended to prevent exposure to poisonous chemicals.