Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-13-2005, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALarsh
I just took my machine in for clutch work under warranty. The did the work and asked about the ROPS. I told them I took down too many trees and damaged too many swingsets. He said, "Thats fine, just as long as you did it and not me". You will not win a law suit against a manufacture if you take it down & you get killed on the mower.
But if you have employees and they get killed when you took it off, they WILL win. Or even worse they get maimed or paralyzed. User error has no sway in court when you circumvented major safeties on the equipment.

Yes, here in Florida they are so useful with all our steep inclines, but at least they helpwith the trimming of the low branches.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a exmark laser, the last year before the rops were standard, and I dred the time when I will have to get a new one with the rops. I have employees so I know that I should not take them off but I am really worried about tree limbs, swingsets, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if the rops contribute to more injuries but less deaths. It is ridiculous.
Old 06-18-2005, 09:00 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

You Have Got To Be Kidding Me!

Put The Roll Bar Back On!

It Is There For A Reason.

No One Expects To Have Their Machine Roll Over, But Believe Me %&#* Happens That You Do Not Expect, Anticipate Or Even Imagine Could Happen.

I Am About As Careful An Operator As You Will Ever Find, But I Once Had An Accident And Had A Machine I Was Riding Roll Over Me. It Did Not Have A Roll Bar. I Escaped With "only" A Separated Shoulder. Two Weeks Out Of Work, A Lot Of Pain, Physical Therapy And An Ugly Bump On My Shoulder Where My Clavicle Sticks Up, Since It Was Displaced 3". I'm Lucky - It Should Have Killed Me.
Old 06-20-2005, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

is it true that scag only has the ROPS on certain models, depending on the horsepower

# 8
Old 06-20-2005, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

ROPS is standard equipment we mow high end properties with trees we can not get around our decision.9 out 10 users probally will not buckle up so will it help if you roll.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Member

I took mine of my 757. I really don't cut any lawns withs hills, so no real worries of tipping over. I actualy almost tipped it over when the ROPS snagged a branch. All of the sudden the front deck jumpped about 2 feet off the ground, I thought for sure it was going to roll over. After that I decided to take them off.