Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-13-2005, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

1 if you have fish you need algae
2 if you take all the water out at ones you will shock the fish and they mite not make it.and for the price of koi
3 put more plants and trees around the pond to shade it from the sun
4 go to your pond store and get a algae zapper
Old 06-14-2005, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Member

We have a UV light attached to our filter. We haven't had the pond long enough to get algae, but all the articles I've read on-line have said the UV filter zaps green water. You can buy them as an add-on to an existing filter or buy a filter with the UV light built into the unit.

Here's a good link with some information:
http://www.ponddoc.com/WhatsUpDoc/Wa...y/crystal.html

The article address all types of water clarity; UV filters are discussed in depth toward the end of the article.
Old 06-29-2005, 02:52 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve in Pa.
What is a good way of keeping pond algea from growing all through the pond? I have drained and cleaned out the entire pond. Looked good for about two weeks crystal clear then the algea started now it is everywhere again

We have had great results in our are with Barley Wattles . Each one will treat about 5,000 sq ft . So this may be a little cost prohibitive for your case unless you have some local farmers who raise barley . Or you can try these people ,
barleywattle.com or @ 888-550-1999 .

Big Hoss
Old 06-30-2005, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Member

I have green water, too

I have a 2940 gal pond with two bio-mech filters, 40 red comets, 3 mature tropical lilies, many bog plants, and a 2000 gph pump. I get mid-day direct sunlight. I drained it for the first time down to about 6 inches deep (about 15% left in for fish), and vacuumed all the sludge from the bottom about 6 weeks ago. Like a poster before me said, it has now turned a nice green, but I can't hardly see the fish now. I had never drained it before (btw it is filled with untreated deep-well water), and I am worried that the green water will turn into string algae, which it had before I cleaned it. We had an extremely cool rainy spring in NC, so my tropical lilies haven't produced yet. Do you think when they do the water will clear up???? I have been treating it with barley straw extract and bacteria, but haven't noticed it clearing up as of yet. Am I pushing the panic button, or should I be concerned. I have a quick disconnect, so I can change out my water very easily by attaching flexible pvc and pumping it into a nearby ditch or save it for plants and grass. Pond water is great for plants! Thanks guys!
Old 07-05-2005, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2h20
start doing 10% a week water changes.. and make sure you get all that sludge at the bottom (if any)/// then treat it with dechlorinator, and fill er up.
Why dechlorinate? The sun does it for you in about 2 minutes. I have never heard of anyone dechlorinating a pond, and I personally quit doing it to my aquariums about 18 years ago. Not much need unless you fill a tank up from empty and throw fish in it right away, which only a n00b would do anyway.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:06 PM
LawnSite Member

ground control said it right-

algae problems are directly tied into an excess of nitrites. Plants, including algae, use them as food. Thus, more plants = less available excess nutrients in the water = less algae

water hycanith are heavy feeders and really help
Old 07-07-2005, 05:03 PM
LawnSite Member

If you have quite a few plants in your pond, and the algea seems to be thriving more than the plants, sometimes adding Potash will do wonders in decreasing the algea growth & boosting the higher plants growth. As I understand it, higher plants need all 3 of the major nutrients, while algea can thrive on only nitrogen and/or phospates.

I throw a handful of 0-0-60 muriate of Potash into our full sun 1500 gallon pond about once a week. The water is clear as a bell. The floaters & rooted plants are growing like mad. I get a bit of string algea now & again in the upper waterfall basin, but this cleans out real easy once a week.

Also, adding a chelated iron supplement with trace elements helps give your higher plants an advantage over the algea.

Do a "potash" search on any of the big pond or planted aquarium forums, lots of interesting reading to be done on the subject.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubdude
I have a 2940 gal pond with two bio-mech filters, 40 red comets, 3 mature tropical lilies, many bog plants, and a 2000 gph pump. I get mid-day direct sunlight. I drained it for the first time down to about 6 inches deep (about 15% left in for fish), and vacuumed all the sludge from the bottom about 6 weeks ago. Like a poster before me said, it has now turned a nice green, but I can't hardly see the fish now. I had never drained it before (btw it is filled with untreated deep-well water), and I am worried that the green water will turn into string algae, which it had before I cleaned it. We had an extremely cool rainy spring in NC, so my tropical lilies haven't produced yet. Do you think when they do the water will clear up???? I have been treating it with barley straw extract and bacteria, but haven't noticed it clearing up as of yet. Am I pushing the panic button, or should I be concerned. I have a quick disconnect, so I can change out my water very easily by attaching flexible pvc and pumping it into a nearby ditch or save it for plants and grass. Pond water is great for plants! Thanks guys!

uv filter will do wonders for you. "Green water" is actually a single celled free floating algae. The uv will disrupt the biological functions of the algae and kill it. UV has the added benefit of killing "ick" and many other external fish parasites and funguses.

look here http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...N=62728+113778
Old 07-11-2005, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve in Pa.
Yes it's the green hairy type algea, and i have 5 fish 3 golds and 2 koi's ponds about 600 gallon. It looked great after cleaning.
sound like the same thing and same size as mine we had string algea and two tablespoons of clelated iron fixd it in 15 minutes tuned all the pich black just like moss control on lawns. that was my mo to clean it out manually and it came back in a week or two not now.btw mine is one of those small 180 gal things.
Attached Images

Old 07-12-2005, 03:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6Hawk
Why dechlorinate? The sun does it for you in about 2 minutes. I have never heard of anyone dechlorinating a pond, and I personally quit doing it to my aquariums about 18 years ago. Not much need unless you fill a tank up from empty and throw fish in it right away, which only a n00b would do anyway.
perhaps its different where you live but here you must dechlorinate or the fish can and most likely will die within a few hours.
You can smell the chlorine coming out of the hose.

www.SoCalPonds.com