Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-12-2005, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Spindle replacement: bearings or assembly?

While mowing this evening, one of my belts felt the need to self destruct into about 253 little bits of rubber and cord. At least I got the front yeard done. Last week, it was the front caster letting go....

Anyway, I've noticed there's a bit of play in the spindle bearings when I pull the blades off to sharpen them. Now that there's no belt tention on this one spindle, there's really a good amount of play. I've also noticed that the blade blolts get really hot when mowing. I've greased the fittings on the spindles more than enough (for homeowner use) so I'm thinking something is going on in there.

Should I attempt to rebuild the current spindles? Or just order the ones from J-Thomas @ $50 each? Link: (See #6) http://www.j-thomas.com/Catalog/033.htm

While $50 is a bit pricey (I figured I might as well swap out all three while I'm in there) it may save time and money in the long run.

Old 06-13-2005, 12:45 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

"While $50 is a bit pricey (I figured I might as well swap out all three while I'm in there) it may save time and money in the long run. "

That is the key right there. By the time you take it apart IF you can get it apart and then just to find the Spindle shaft and/or bearings and/or housing are gone replacing the whole thing does not seem all the pricey. If there is no movement (play) in the other assemblies I see no reason to replace them at this time unless you just want to get it out of the way
Old 06-13-2005, 02:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

ha remove all three try $349.00 each here. You need odd spare so never cuaght out, dam 50 bucks is jack shitt. We charge same price as you buggers but ya mowers down times nothing come on buy spares ya tight arses.
Old 06-13-2005, 07:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixer67
" By the time you take it apart IF you can get it apart and then just to find the Spindle shaft and/or bearings and/or housing are gone replacing the whole thing does not seem all the pricey. If there is no movement (play) in the other assemblies I see no reason to replace them at this time unless you just want to get it out of the way
That's what worried me. I have no idea how old these are and I can only imagine how "fun" getting them apart would be. Metal does odd things when covered with moldy, damp grass. I'd be doing this a lot:

How are the pulleys held on to the spindle? It looks like a a key and a really really small allen head screw?
Old 06-14-2005, 08:19 AM
LawnSite Member

I ordered three spindles last night along with a few extra belts. Since I ordered 3, the price of each went down to $47 each. I'll post an update when they arive later this week. After work, I'll soak down the bolts that hold the spindles to the deck with PB blaster. I've learned that old rusty bolts are easier to deal with if you soak them a few days before attempting a fix.
Old 06-18-2005, 10:18 AM
LawnSite Member

I took on this job yesterday. When standing behind the mower, the pulley to the left was easy to remove. I removed the two allen bolts and the pulley popped right off. That's where the fun ended. The middle and right pulleys were not cooperating. I could not get one of the allen bolts out of the center pulley. On the right pulley, even with all the bolts removed, it wasn't budging. I felt like such a redneck when I pulled out the 4lb sledge..... It worked though. Since I was replacing the spindles, I used the sledge to drive the spindle out of the pulleys. The right one wasn't so bad, the center one was somewhat of a pain. Probably because of that stuck small allen bolt. Another call to J-Thomas to order new pulleys and idler pulleys and I should be good to go by mid next week. I'm going to paint that area (where the belts live) since I have just about everything removed. Once the paint is dry, I'll install the new spindles and wait for the pulleys.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

While I was in the Air Force motor pool, their moto was:

Beat it to fit and paint it to match!

I'm glad to hear that we weren't the only ones with that moto!
Old 06-24-2005, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It took my breath the other week when a single spindle/bearing assembly for a 30" Murray rear engine rider cost $120.

Glad it wasn't my mower, I charged the owner $80 to put it in.

2004 Ford F-250 XL RC/LB 4x2 Power Stroke Diesel
2010 John Deere Z710A 48" cut
1999 John Deere GT-235/54" deck
1985 John Deere 212 w/38" deck
1983 John Deere 420 w/54" hydraulic front blade
1974 John Deere 140, 54" hydraulic blade, 3pt. hitch, tandem disc, plow, 48" deck
1971 John Deere 112, 38" deck, all original, down for engine rebuild.
1967 IH Cub Cadet 124 w/creeper box, disc, plow
1947 Economy/Power King Tractor S/N 590, fully restored.

Certified John Deere Technician
Old 06-24-2005, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalltimer1
It took my breath the other week when a single spindle/bearing assembly for a 30" Murray rear engine rider cost $120.

Glad it wasn't my mower, I charged the owner $80 to put it in.

You mean the average labor rate is 80.00 a hour in Raleigh ?
I'm living in the wrong state !

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 06-24-2005, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by restrorob
You mean the average labor rate is 80.00 a hour in Raleigh ?
I'm living in the wrong state !
Included travel time to pick up parts 30 miles round trip.

Local shops usually run about $58/hr. on labor. I do $18/hr. because I do not have a formal shop/high overhead/employees/etc., but travel time/gas has to be accounted for when I have to track parts down and a pickup/delivery charge, thus the reason for $80, which includes my time. I've become very good friends with the MTD and Murray parts guys recently.

2004 Ford F-250 XL RC/LB 4x2 Power Stroke Diesel
2010 John Deere Z710A 48" cut
1999 John Deere GT-235/54" deck
1985 John Deere 212 w/38" deck
1983 John Deere 420 w/54" hydraulic front blade
1974 John Deere 140, 54" hydraulic blade, 3pt. hitch, tandem disc, plow, 48" deck
1971 John Deere 112, 38" deck, all original, down for engine rebuild.
1967 IH Cub Cadet 124 w/creeper box, disc, plow
1947 Economy/Power King Tractor S/N 590, fully restored.

Certified John Deere Technician