Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-13-2005, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Just Starting

Hey Guys, What's going on? A little about my self I'm 29 years old and my brother in law and I are thinking about starting up are own Lawn service company. We both work for the Automotive industry here in Detroit and as Most of you Know It's a real Tuff time right now and were not to sure if it's going to get better any time soon. Both of us are hard workers and we love out side work I love taking care of my Yard and helping my Neighbors with there yards, my brother in law is also the same way. We want to start of Kind of slow Maybe 20-30 customers and then see what happens after that.
My Question is with just the two of us for now what kind of equipment and how much of it should we buy, I would really appreciate any help on what and where to get some new and used equipment, Mowers edger’s trimmers trailers and so on. We are planning on starting this company next year and expanding it year after year. This is something I have always thought about doing and I think now is the Time. Between the both of us we should have the Assets to start the business up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
V & E Lawn Care
Old 06-13-2005, 05:34 PM
LawnSite Member

to just start out i would buy a nice used 36 to 48 inch walkbehind. if you go to northern indiana like elkart you can find some nice cheap trailers because they are made there. any other questions, just ask.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think it is going to be tuff in Detroit to get decent prices per yard. A lot of other soon to be laid off auto workers are probably thinking the same as you.

Hopefully you can get at least $25 a yard to get lots of customers quick.

Do a search on this site for "Detroit" and you may get some good ideas about your area.

Bill
Old 06-13-2005, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Get and be legal first. Have fun.

www.4daughterslandscape.com
Old 06-13-2005, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

"Knowing What You Know"

Hi Guys,.......everybody wants to be the lawn guy?lol,lol.......While you guys still have a steady pay ck, run dont walk to the nearest equipment dealer and start lookin at equipment trade-ins. Ck out 32" & 36" walk behinds, w/ gator blades for mulching........ck some gates in your respective areas to see what fits?....You'll probably need a good 21" as well, if those gated back yards are very tight......Hopefully 1 of you has a pick-up?........a decent trailer for startin out would be a 5x10 or 12'ft open, generally these trailers can carry 2000-2900lbs depending on the axle? & wheel size?.....a good [ new back-pk blower $5-600.00 bucks, a better string trimmer $200.00....Since you guys lack any formal education [ only a guess?] i'd stick to basic / weekly mowing....Think of a catchy name....."Mowing Buddies", "Mow & Go", ect. and surely look at liability insurance........"Good Luck"
Old 06-14-2005, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Member

thanks

Thanks for the help guys, As far as formal education not sure what you ment but My brother in law has a BBA in marketing and im working on a BBA myself. Plus I have worked in construction and I have a class A CDL. LHSlawnman86 if you could give me a number or address to the trailer place that would be great. As far as being in Detroit there should be no problem finding work in the Lawn service area I will be working in the suberbs and there are some just normal suberbs and then some real nice one's in the area houses from $225,000- $550,00
Old 06-14-2005, 01:16 AM
LawnSite Member

MSI / Mobile Structures Inc.
2405 Cassopolis St.
Elkhart, IN 46514
888 HAUL MSI (888-428-5674)

that is the only one i thought of off hand but i can get you about 2-3 more by tuesday or wednesday
Old 06-14-2005, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

theres some advise here fellas keep your jobs while you still have move into a good market slowly keep chatting to people in the know and back your self
Old 06-14-2005, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

The big thing, bigger than equipment, is do you have any experience in the lawn care business? There is more to it than just cranking a mower and cutting when you are doing it for someone else for pay.

A friend of mine has a trophy wife……..apparently she wasn’t 1st place though

...Amateurs built the Ark but professionals built the Titanic...

...YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID...
Old 06-15-2005, 07:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

"we're not just a bunch of bush wackers?"lol,lol, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V & E Lawn Care
Thanks for the help guys, As far as formal education not sure what you ment but My brother in law has a BBA in marketing and im working on a BBA myself. Plus I have worked in construction and I have a class A CDL. LHSlawnman86 if you could give me a number or address to the trailer place that would be great. As far as being in Detroit there should be no problem finding work in the Lawn service area I will be working in the suberbs and there are some just normal suberbs and then some real nice one's in the area houses from $225,000- $550,00
Hi again, the Greens Industry is a very wide area, many here have formal education in "Horticulture", "Arborculture","Entomology","Plant Pathology" "Soil Sciences", ect, take wrk-shops on getting a state lic. for applying pesticides,landscape design & construction.....its sort of like this?....Every "Tom, Dick, & Harry" calls a large evergreen tree a Pine Tree?.....if you want to be a "Cut-above", look for you local Cooperative Extension office and take a class,....Theres reasons why a reputable company doesnt buy the grass seed at the "Home-Depot"........I use a seedsman........."Good-Luck" anyway