Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-28-2000, 07:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Ibnd1- WOW - hope you don't change your mind. We're in the quaint little town of Candia, NH, right down Rte.101. Anything and everything is what I want to know......
Old 04-28-2000, 07:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sheils,<br> I would take the plunge and go full<br>time.However it is vital to have suitable<br>financial backing before you start. But<br>I guess you already knew that. Perhaps if <br>you husband could do a couple of days part tome for a contractor in your area,to see if<br>he actually enjoyed this sort of work.Be a<br>bummer to spend heaps and find that you hate the job.<br>Hope this helps.<p>Karl<br>
Old 04-28-2000, 07:45 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sheila,<br>Nite job with benefits...UPS. Three to five hours. Free benefits, health, dental, etc. Hard work. <p>You could try placing ads in several newspapers to jump start some business in your direction. Yellow page ad before their deadline. Ads can be costly and make sure you can deliver the service the ad promotes
Old 04-28-2000, 07:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Southside - Anything helps. To be honest, I know he would luv the work. If the day dawns and itsn't raining buckets or total blizzard, he's outside. And when hes outside his hands are usually in the dirt. Ive just been hearing this dream for so long that we have to take the plunge now while the economy is so good. It would be more of a bummer to spend a few years as an apprentice, go to start your own and find out the economy is not so rosy? If we had started 4 years ago, we would be that much further along. Our viable financing when all is said and done, is the equity in our home. If managed right, and we both are working, it will work. That does mean selling though. And if were going to sell, why not just go where the season is longer. When it comes to plowing up here in the north nowadays, it doesnt mean much these past few years.....thanks for the advice
Old 04-28-2000, 09:40 AM

Hello Ms. Sheila:<p>If I was moving down south to make money, I would consider Atlanta, Ga. or go whole hog & move to maybe the Orlando, Fla. area. Or somewhere in that neighborhood. <p>The money flows like water in these towns. You can do anything you want in these towns & make a killing. There is others here that will tell you this about Atlanta, Ga. for shure.<p>I wish I needed help & I don't cut grass anymore, but I wish I did. I might again one day.<p>I'm a lot like you I'm unhappy with what I'm doing, but I got to stay here til I sell my business or have enough income where I can sell out. I've been waiting 4 1/2 years now & it's killing me. One day I will get lucky!<p>I have a very large cash investment here & If I do not handle it right I could easily loose several $100K.<p>Time will take care of all if you try! <br> <p>----------<br>GrassMaster - Home: www.lawnservicing.com<br>My Start Up Page www.lawnservicing.com/startup/
Old 04-28-2000, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Member

who spent time thinking about starting and who just went for it?
Old 04-29-2000, 03:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Steven - Touche! I have had this discussion many times with my other half. This is one reason we are considering partnership. All concerned have assets that would greatly benefit a young, growing company. Yet so many professionals do not like this idea. How can you create and grow a successful company without having all the attributes to do so? I refuse to work for someone else all my life and if a partnership is the way I have to go - so be it. If it doesnt work there is always - Divorce? Oh - to top it all off - the partners are relatives! What to do??????
Old 04-29-2000, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Grassmaster - Finally a day without rain. Hang in there, as you say, time will help take care of all. Must admit though it must be extremely tough. Raleigh area is about as far as I'd go. Only would move if partnership takes place. Will know more soon - have a scheduled trip down there soon. I will keep you posted. Great website you have created!!!!Lots of info I can sure use....
Old 04-29-2000, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

MY story, for what it's worth. <br>Worked with a guy in the business (one day).<br>Pick his brain the next couple of days.<br>Bought a 36 gear drive and blower, ran an add in the paper, hung fliers and started with 10 lawns. This happened in July by the way. DO IT NOW the &quot;right time will never come.<br>I did keep the corporate job I had until March on the next season.<br>55 hours per week at job and days off with my business. I was in the best spirts because I knew the hard work would benefit ME.<br>Left the job after 15 years to mow grass. Crazy??<br>Now making more in seven months than I ever did with the corp. Co. car, bonus, benefits, and lots of B.S. I don't miss it.<br>I would not go the partnership route.<br>I you want to gain experience, start your business and get a job with another lawn company until yours takes off..<br>Just my opinions....good luck!!
Old 04-29-2000, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Shelia:<p>I started my landscape / lawn care business in North Carolina 14 months ago. Like you I was tired of the corporate world and wanted to make my hobby a profitable career.<p>Personally, I would do it alone - no partners - and would jump in head first and go full time. There is more than enough work in the Raleigh area to make a good honest living. By going full time you can focus all of your energies on building your business and not being distracted. <p>The great thing about this biz is the fact that you can get started with minimum capital upfront. I started with a truck and 22&quot; Toro and now have built up to 4 trucks, 7 mowers, 9 employees, and a full time landscape team. Had I not liked it then I would have been stuck with a truck for my everyday vehicle and a Toro to mow my yard. Not a lot of upfront capital risk. The hardest decision is walking from that quaranteed paycheck each month. Good luck and go for it!