Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-01-2000, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Sheila,<br>This is a very big decision you and your family have to make.<br>I have been doing this business part-time for three seasons. I have a full-time job in the corp-world. I work four nights a week and I am off Friday-Sunday.<br>I enjoy doing my business. It's hard the way I do it, but you never know one day when it could be your only source of income.<br>I would cetainly move first. Find a job etc, and then build the lawncare business at the same time. If you don't like it after a season,then you still have money coming from somewhere. I am actually living in Atlanta.<br>Business is great.There is enough for everyone who wants to make a living.<br>I hope that you find what you're looking for.<br>P.S. My goal in the near future,is to do this business full-time. I also plan to live in Florida. You can make a killing there. The folks over there love their lawns,and will pay whatever to have it looking good.<br>Good Luck.
Old 05-01-2000, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

miquel wrote:<p>&gt;My goal in the near future,is to do this business full-time. I also plan to live in Florida. You can make a killing there. The folks over there love their lawns,and will pay whatever to have it looking good.<p>LOL, what part of Florida is that? People here are just as tight as anywhere. Central Florida is a real interesting area. Probably nowhere else could you have more competition in the lawn care business.
Old 05-01-2000, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sheila:<br>My advice is to drum up business before you plunge. May is kind of late to get a lot of business in the south but I'm sure you can get a few accounts.<br>The problem is that you are several hundred miles from N.C.. You can't drum up business from that far away. <br>I would consider the partnership if that is the only reasonable way to move. I love N.H., I spent 2 summers in Concord whilst in my college years. Never thought about it from a lawn care point of view back then. When you consider the ease of transition, doing this in N.H. may not be that bad. If you get enough accounts going you could probably work 8-9 months out of the year and push snow 2-3 months. Or go south for the winter. Add services like landscaping, pressure washing or whatever. It would be a leap of faith to leave your jobs and move.<br>I guess you have to gamble sometimes.<p>Remember that N.C. is not South Florida, the Burmuda grass does go dormant for the winter. If turf maintenance is your only trick then working in the south may not be a 12 month biz, or atleast not at full throttle.<br>Lots of luck whatever you decide.
Old 05-02-2000, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Member

In North Carolina, we mainly have fescue not Bermuda so turf maintenance is a 9/10 month operation. When the turf slows down the leaves kick in and there is more than enough leaf / pine needle work to get through the winter. Therefore, you can have a 12 month operation in the Carolinas.<p>There are also two very busy seasons - spring and fall. Now through mid summer is the time to start setting up for the fall. If you wait till fall to plan for the fall then you have already missed the boat. I also have noticed that summer is a good time to pick up lawn accounts because alot of people get real lazy when the temperature hits the mid 90s every afternoon.
Old 05-03-2000, 06:27 AM
LawnSite Member

My wife actually started this business because my daughter wanted to earn some extra money. She told the kid to knock on some doors and see who might want their lawn cut.<br>After the kid got a few lawns a neighbor suggested an ad in the the local paper which covered our city and the surrounding suburbs. Next thing you know mom`s involved and they are up to about 20 lawns a week. Equpiment consisted of our own<br>old Snapper 21 in. mower, an ancient smoky Mclane edger,k-mart brand trimmer and blower<br>all hauled around in an old van. I had worked for others for many years and was sick of being told what to do by people that were less qualified than me so I also took the plunge. I picked everyones brain in the business and was lucky to have an excellent equipment dealer in our area who helped us update to better and better equipment and was always there with invaluable advice. To this day the company is still named after my bride<br>and our philosophy is to do quality work. Our prices are higher than just about everybody and as I`m typing this I just got a call back from an estimate that is at least $10 higher a cut than most of the guys charge around here<br>but he wants us based on how he was treated and that I actually showed up to do an estimate! Sorry to be so long-winded hope this helps.
Old 05-03-2000, 08:31 AM
LawnSite Member

In North Carolina, we mainly have fescue not Bermuda so turf maintenance is a 9/10 month operation. When the turf slows down the leaves kick in and there is more than enough leaf / pine needle work to get through the winter. Therefore, you can have a 12 month operation in the Carolinas.<p>There are also two very busy seasons - spring and fall. Now through mid summer is the time to start setting up for the fall. If you wait till fall to plan for the fall then you have already missed the boat. I also have noticed that summer is a good time to pick up lawn accounts because alot of people get real lazy when the temperature hits the mid 90s every afternoon.
Old 05-03-2000, 12:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

sheila--lots of good advice so far. here's mine: don't mortgage the house. let the buisness make the payments. good luck.<p>GEO