Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-28-2001, 05:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Can anyone tell me why one needs a license to spread Scotts products when your average Joe-Blow can go to the store and buy them and apply them? Is it just another way the states can get into our pocket books? I just think it is WRONG for us to have to spend MORE MONEY on a license to spread a product that anyone can go to the store and purchase and use.
Mowman
Old 02-28-2001, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The theory would be that Joe Homeowner may damage or endanger his & 2 neighbor's properties by not reading the labels & understanding how to properly apply these dangerous chemicals. While we as commercial applicators could potentially affect many properties by not applying them correctly. We are supposed to learn how to safely & properly use these chemicals to become certified, so that would hopefully decrease the effects of any potential problems.
Old 02-28-2001, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The reason is that Joe Blow will use a few ounces of this pesticide, and a few pounds of that one. The commercial applicator will conceivably use hundreds of gallons of this one, and tons of that one.

Also have to consider the fact that the commercial applicator is charging for the service. You can fix your own electric wiring or plumbing, but in most localities it is a major infraction to do this for hire without licensing. Licensing in any vocation is (theoretically) to protect the public from unscrupulous operators.
Old 02-28-2001, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The states consider us a bigger liability. I dont see it that way though. Sure we are using more effective weed control chemicals, but I now know that some homowners have put down the same material I have (3 way for example). Also I have seen Mr. Blow buy a 15k bag and put it on 10k lawn. Whos the bigger risk now.

It is rediculous to pay the high amount of money for the ins. costs, business app. fees, and the individual pest. ap. fees per yr. I got my lisence this yr and it bugs me to no end that we must pay out the rear just to have one and Mr. Blow can quietly and slowly ruin his section of earth w/o losing sleep over it. I guess people dont have enough common sense to read the damn label!
Old 02-28-2001, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Member

One homeowner plus all homeowners who buy pesticides equal a lot of properties. The amount of pesticides a homeowner can buy has no limits and the more they purchase the better for the pesticide manufactures. Homeowners don't understand they can be killing beneficial insects or bees (that pollinate our crops).

We as business owners shouldn't have to be the only ones that are educated with pesticides. Pesticides can be vary dangers in the hands of anyone especially those without any knowledge of them. I'm studying for my pesticide exam right now and it sounds to me from the books I read from the state, that anyone that doesn't use a pesticide correctly and has a license will be severely fined.

How many people do you know that has got a fine without a pesticide license for improper use? Now think how many people who now that are licensed are being monitored just because they have there license. I think pesticide license are a good thing but lets be fair to everyone, lets make homeowners take a small quiz asking them about questions concerning pesticides not nothing serious but something they need to study for.

To answer your question. Yes, I think it's about money there programs have to be funded by someone why not the people legally applying pesticides for hire. I just hope after getting my license my cooperative extension will back me up by making the ones who are applying pesticides unlicensed in getting license so I am able to compete with them.
Old 02-28-2001, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I think you guys that want to spread without a license need some education on the reasons why you should have one.Its all about accountability-you can spray your own lawn ,but if your doing it for a living,you need to be licensed.Im glad its not legal for some new guy to start spraying next to my house with no real clue as to what he's doing.The insurance is to make you personally accountable for all damage you do if you apply the wrong pesticide,in the wrong conditions,or with certain insects (bees) present.By having to keep records and track of everything any neighbor that has a problem because of your application can get legal assistance nad reimbursement from your insurance co.If the system was not in place,how would you the unlicensed applicator be held responsible? your homeowners policy wont cover you doing the lawn down the street.The damage that can be done from an application done improperly is huge,not to meantion the worry of contaminating the water supply when filling improperly.I agrree that the homeowner shouldnt be able to apply either without a license,but its there house ,they are covered by homeowners insurance,and until the law changes-thats the way it will be.
Old 03-01-2001, 01:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The homowner can treat his lawn, friends and neighbors at no charge and be okay in the eyes of Kansas and Missouri. The minute he charges he has to be licensed.

Another point of interest is if a neighbor calls the Dept of Ag and makes a complaint the homeonwer who applied the chemicals and there is damage to a off site plant, he can face the same scrutiny as a commercial applicator.