Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-17-2005, 01:57 AM
LawnSite Member

need help on pricing

i'm doing a summer project for a woman in the area who i've worked for in the past. however, i have always worked inn the past with someone else, and don't know what i should be charging. he was the one that did expenses...i'm just the labor. could somebody help me with making a quote?

she wants a few things done:
-two terraces (retaining walls) built on a moderate/steep slope. they will be approximately 10 feet in length, with lots of space between the 2 of them. these would most likely be built out of dry, stacked rock.
-a tree is to be removed. it is just a sapling, and about 6 inches around. some of the roots are exposed and the soil around it is soft.
-there is a VERY small creek (maybe 5 inches deep), through which rain water runs off of a nearby street. it splits into 2 paths, and she wants one filled in.
-the remaining creek path is to be deepened and widened.
-she would like me to install a flagstone path, and it would span about 23 feet in length.
-she wants some grass removed
-a small area on the edge of the creek needs to be filled with gravel and bordered by boulders

i don't know how much to charge for labor, etc. if anybody can help me price this, or refer me to a cost guide, that would be really great. thank you very much! i didn't know where else to find out.
Old 06-17-2005, 12:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

$9264 dollars.

or, time and materials. which means tell her 25 an hour.
Old 06-17-2005, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks alot. you've been really helpful

Last edited by msauter; 06-17-2005 at 04:39 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 06-17-2005, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey

Its tricky... If the customer know's you... likes you... or trusts you to do the job then you have an advantage... all my customers like me a lot.. I"m very personable and fair priced. I usually get an average of 55 per hour for hard labor... You should get around the same... If you know what your doing and are confident that you can do it... then tell her you want between 4 and 600 per day in labor fees... I mean if your busting your butt for say 7- 8 hours with a break then don't you thinik you deserve it? Any other serious professional would get double if not triple the amount... Just be fair... Honest.. and smile! Sleep on it...... Think about what type of person she is to begin with... Is she a penny picker.. or somebody who is willing to get the job done... give or take a couple of bucks here and there... Sounds like you ahve a lot of work... Think about how long it might take you... try to plan out the best stratagey for you to accomplish the job, in the most profitable way with out dragging out the job for too long ya know? Like I have a job tommorrow.. I"m removing a small lawn about eh 400 square feet... I used round up to kill the lawn to make my job easier... Hey even higher somebody to help you... whats 80 bucks for the day when your makin 400 or so... not bad right? Good luck... Its all about customer service..... being personable.. and understanding what kinda customer your dealing with... later