Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-18-2005, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Member

New To LawnMowing Business

Hey guys. I am new to the LawnMowing business and i am wanting some tips and suggestions. I live in texas in a very rural area. There are people all around me needing their 1-10 acre lots mowed. The equipment i have is..

Dayton 5Spd, 11hp rider
Snapper 12hp 6 speed rider (not running yet)
2 Push Mowers (3.5 and 5hp)
1 non working weedwhacker (will run after i get fuel line)

The Dayton rider is old but very reliable. I am only 17 but have a drivers license and a truck. What suggestions do you have for me? I just mowed a womans 4 acre lot today for $350. What prices should i charge? I have 5 years of experience in lawn mowing. Thanks for your suggestions in advance guys!
Old 06-19-2005, 01:11 AM
LawnSite Member

get as many lawns as you can then as soon as you can justify it, buy a commercial mower. never quit advertising.
Old 06-19-2005, 01:57 AM
LawnSite Member

new

this is the flyer i have made up to post in stores and such around the area..its a .doc file so its not pretty but if you want to see the ACTUAL file here it is:
My Lawn Flyer
Attached Files
File Type: txt lawnflyerr.txt (915 Bytes, 147 views)
Old 06-19-2005, 08:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

if your gettin 350 fer 4 acres, your doin just fine. Don't change nothin.
Old 06-19-2005, 11:53 AM
LawnSite Member

Flyer looks good but you may wanna change "I have 5 years of experience and are very reliable and responsible." And these guys are gonna try to nickel and dime you so I'd take out the ***Prices negotiable to an extent*** part, don't open that door for them. But looks good, and I agree, if you're gettin' that kinda money, you're doin' good so far. good luck
Old 06-19-2005, 12:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

take a step back b4 u do anything

the prices on the flyer are outrageously low....

1st of all, what makes a lawn grass tall & short... maybe your refering to EOW (every other week) being tall grass and short grass every week.... doesn't make sense and its not wise to list prices on flyers.... if you must put a written quote on the yard you've looked @ and put that on the flyer or and doorhanger when your goin door 2 door this summer....

my only question for u is why do you list the push mower price lower? sure the mower & upkeep is less than the rider, but your having to be overworked to cut 3 acres.... do you know the actual size of a 3 acre lot? 3 acres is 130,950 square feet it'll take you 4-5 hrs to cut 3acres w/a 21'' mower! i wouldn't advise any1 operating solo w/a 21'' mower to tackle any lots thats an acre or more.... for 21'' mowers you should be targeting .75 acres lots and less, b/c it'll take you an hr to do that.... now if you & a buddy tackle some yards w/21'' mowers mow 1.5 acres lots and no larger than that ...

any1 w/a truck & push mower can say their in business but w/o proper techniques and knowledge of productivity your not gonna get anywhere...

Rig: 2004 ford ranger 4.0 ltr. & 10X8 trailer
Equipment: 2005 Bobcat 61'' ztr 31hp
torro 21'' super recycler
torro 21'' recycler
Stihl FS 81
Echo Backpack 403T blower

Last edited by A+ Lawncare; 06-19-2005 at 01:01 PM.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks for the tips! they have really put things in actual perspective for me. I will change things around a bit. I have 2 22" cut mowers but now i understand how long it will take for 1 person to do it..lol. I guess i should start recruiting my buds to help me out. The flyer was just a test run for me..i am new and dont know anything about advertising and such. If you want to help me on a flyer or anything else please do so...lol. I am more than welcome to all suggestions and help i can get. Cause i want to start bringing in the lol. Good suggestions guys! Keep them comin! Also any suggestions on equipment i have or might want to get would be great.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

RedRockTx.... if u've got aim or aol hit me up w/an im.... my screen name is MrATVPolaris

Rig: 2004 ford ranger 4.0 ltr. & 10X8 trailer
Equipment: 2005 Bobcat 61'' ztr 31hp
torro 21'' super recycler
torro 21'' recycler
Stihl FS 81
Echo Backpack 403T blower
Old 06-21-2005, 11:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRockTx
Hey guys. I am new to the LawnMowing business and i am wanting some tips and suggestions. I live in texas in a very rural area. There are people all around me needing their 1-10 acre lots mowed. The equipment i have is..

Dayton 5Spd, 11hp rider
Snapper 12hp 6 speed rider (not running yet)
2 Push Mowers (3.5 and 5hp)
1 non working weedwhacker (will run after i get fuel line)

The Dayton rider is old but very reliable. I am only 17 but have a drivers license and a truck. What suggestions do you have for me? I just mowed a womans 4 acre lot today for $350. What prices should i charge? I have 5 years of experience in lawn mowing. Thanks for your suggestions in advance guys!
I would have charged $280...but maybe the price of living down there is more
Old 06-21-2005, 01:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

RedRock, congratulations on having the incentive to go out and do some work. I know a lot of 17 year olds that don't do anything. As for tips, do the best possible job you can - word of mouth can make or break you. I suggest not only doing it like you would want it done, but do a little better. Keep your mower blades sharp so that your mowers do a nice job of cutting, trim everything, keep a neat appearance to yourself and your equipment (age doesn't matter nearly as much as cleanliness), and you'll find more work than you can keep up with. Then it's time to start looking for newer better mowers. Oh, and if you make a mistake - in bidding or anything, own up to it as soon as possible and live with the consequenses. You can make it up later.
Good luck.