Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-23-2005, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMount
Flyer looks good but you may wanna change "I have 5 years of experience and are very reliable and responsible." And these guys are gonna try to nickel and dime you so I'd take out the ***Prices negotiable to an extent*** part, don't open that door for them. But looks good, and I agree, if you're gettin' that kinda money, you're doin' good so far. good luck
I know... 350 for 4 acres, lol
Old 06-23-2005, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites
I know... 350 for 4 acres, lol
actually I am sorry about that quick reply because to be honest I think you might be inadvertently ripping the customer off.

Whether you cut a lawn with a 21" pushmower or with a 108" ZTR does NOT affect the price you charge. Yes you charge by the hour BUT each job has a price-range and you can't just charge more because it takes YOU longer when it shouldn't, as an example.
So if a guy with a ZTR can do a 10-acre lot for 300 dollars (yes, $30/acre), then I should charge somewhere in the vicinity of that price even thou I only have a 48" Wb and it will take me close to twice as long, it is not fair that I charge double because it takes me longer, that is not the customer's problem.
Now, can I cut a 10-acre lot with a 48" wb? Absolutely!
It takes me 40-45 mins/acre so 10 acres is 7.5 hours. Ok so work for 3 hours or so and take a short break and work another 3. Then one final catch-your-breath and time to knock it all out, another 1.5 hours to finish cutting, then the weed-trimming and all the crap well I am going to be there ALL day for sure. That is a bit of a problem so I may have to increase the price to $35/acre which grosses me $350 for a day's work - A little bit higher than the Ztr's 300 but a far cry from charging 600!
Yes 350 for 10-12 hours/work is not a lot of money but then how much are you going to charge for a FULL day's work? The customer is not getting no 12 hours of work out of me even IF I'm in their lot all that time, I have to take breaks and the MOST I charge for a whole day's work is 400, 375 to be nice, so 350 really isn't that far off and it keeps the price aggressive (meaning I have to work HARD to earn my money).
For 4 acres, a price somewhere between 175-200 is more like it.