Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-19-2005, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Bidding lawns...

Few things i want to clear up. When you bid lawns how do you know how much to charge? A certain price per acre? How long it will take you to cut? Any suggestions will help.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:54 AM
LawnSite Member

For me and my starting business i will charge per acre. My prices will be dependant on how tall the grass is and the terrain i have to mow over. I havent timed myself on how long it will take to cut..but all i know is it depends on the lawn, cutting width and the lawnmower (hp wise). Hope this helps some..
Old 06-20-2005, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Bidding is the real trick to the business....

Bid too low, lose your shirt

Bid too high, no business

Basics of bidding

1. Market Value
This is the most important part. What is the market value per cut of the property you are doing? It doesn't matter how fast or slow you can cut it. It only matters what the customer is willing to pay.

If you are starting out in the biz with a 22" mower it may take you over an hour to do 1/4 acre yard. Whereas if you have a larger commercial mower you can knock it out in 20 minutes. Either way the yard is still only worth XX amount of $.

Learn your area's pricing.

In my area for a basic cut, trim & blow:
1/4 acre lots $30 & up
1 acre lots $55 & up

2. How long will it take you with optimum equipment
Assuming you have the best equipment you need to see if there are other things that will slow you down....hillsides, excessive amount of landscaping, too much fence, gates etc...

3. Base all of your prices on mowing every week. If you pick up an every other week client then charge more per cut.

Hope this helps in getting you started
Old 06-20-2005, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Start with a min. price just to showup.I mean if plumbers can do it why can't we?Then look at the job.After a while you'll learn how fast you can get a lawn done.At first you make lose a few bucks but you will learn.

XW2200,XW2401,2006 XT3300 72 in,2013 Classic 3360;John Deere Gs30 Walkbehind,'85 Chevy 1 ton,03Chevy 3/4 ton,10 ft and 16 ft trailers,Redmax,Honda, and Shindaiwa handhelds
Old 06-20-2005, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Starting in a one horse town with people that want more for less or free

I'm trying to get a lawn service started in this town where people want their yard cut for free. It is really frustrating. I have even tried making deals like "for every 3 paying clients you find for me, you will receive one cut free". So far this has not worked as of yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Simpson
I'm trying to get a lawn service started in this town where people want their yard cut for free. It is really frustrating. I have even tried making deals like "for every 3 paying clients you find for me, you will receive one cut free". So far this has not worked as of yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
What do you mean they want thier lawn cut for free?
Old 06-20-2005, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks for the advice, its somewhat making sense to me, i guess im going to have to learn the hard way and get burned a few times. Owell. Any other tips?
Old 06-21-2005, 12:52 AM
LawnSite Member

My advise is to never comprise quality, I have been burnt and every minute I was working for fifteen bucks an hour I never waivered. Lady was so happy she ended up tipping me enough to make it worth my while.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:02 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Hey speedy! I think keep the prices in the middle. Make it where it's low for them and it's enough for you. The more experience you get and the bigger and better your service gets raise the price.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

cost

overhead plus the profit you feel you need, compared to what the market will withstand

how much is you insurance, you have it right, state licencing and county licencing , you have it right..... what does it cost you to operate, commercial licence plates, you have those right.... advertising, your going to have to pay taxes on your income right..... add up everthing it cost you to be in business, plus your profit margin, equals cost
6 full time