Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-21-2005, 03:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

PITA Customer Story

I have this one customer, older lady, always been a real PITA, but I put up with her because she lives next door to one of my best customers. She calls yesterday and says, "I have an issue with you mowing on Thursday, when I talked to you in the spring I said I wanted my lawn looking good for Sunday, so I want you to start coming on Friday or Saturday." I said, "No, Thursday is the day I am in your neighborhood" She replies, "by Sunday the grass is so tall, I can hardly tell its been mowed, why can't you come later in the week?" I replied, no I am in your neighborhood Thursday, Friday I have two cemitaries and a church which I do so THEY look good for the weeked. there is absolutly nothing I can do for you. She then has the nerve to say "I have been a customer for serveral years and I feel like I am taking a back seat to some of your new accounts." At this point I said, "You know, I have not yet seen payment for May from you yet" She says she never got the the bill. I say "Thats strange because your neighbor got theirs, and I recieved a check weeks ago." She insists she never got it. I say fine, must be it got lost in the mail, I'll send another. I then say I will see you THURSDAY, good bye. and hung up. Can you believe the nerve of some people?
Old 06-21-2005, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

They just dont understand we have to do our yards in a certain order, we cant do one yard on one side of the county then go to the other side of the county to do another yard and just go back to the other side again and do the neighbors yard. its jsut not practical.
Old 06-21-2005, 05:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

...And here I am STILL shuffling my schedule around of what resi's are going to get done on what days. I have the chart made, but I keep getting rain delays, and trying to do 6 day lapses to catch up. It is a logistical puzzle. You just tell this lady that she's lucky she sees you the same day every week. If she wants a different light on service, tell her to call me. After talking with me (and me totally honest with her), she will feel fortunate to have you.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 06-21-2005, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

sure tell her it will be 150 a cut !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I on the other had don't have this problem i really only cut in my city and there not many people i think the news paper circulation is only 9000 with the sarounding ares also that i dont mow in so . I can put them on any day they want but end of the week just means more money its all good !!!
Old 06-21-2005, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

sure tell her it will be 150 a cut !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I on the other had don't have this problem i really only cut in my city and there not many people i think the news paper circulation is only 9000 with the surrounding ares also that i don't mow in so . I can put them on any day they want but end of the week just means more money its all good !!!
Old 06-21-2005, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I hear ya Todd, next year, If i even decide to renwe her, she will expirience a very large price increase. If she goes for it great, if not, just as well.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I tell any new customers up front what day I expect their lawn to fall on. I also let them know that this day can change due to the addition/loss off customers, or mother nature's dirty little tricks she plays. If they don't like that, then they can keep shopping for someone else.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:01 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

When this woman finally kicks the proverbial bucket, she might end up in one of your cemeteries...then she will get mowed on one of her preferred days.

See, there's always something to look forward too...
Old 06-22-2005, 01:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsaw-addict
They just dont understand we have to do our yards in a certain order, we cant do one yard on one side of the county then go to the other side of the county to do another yard and just go back to the other side again and do the neighbors yard. its jsut not practical.
Well the weekend-request thing is another 'because I'm special' things much like the 'can you change the height of your mower blades?' I'm not sure what the kick is with the mower-height BUT the weekend thing I understand somewhat...
I honor a few of them, but there is no guarantee and I really don't like it because some just want to see if I'll bend over backwards for them, and then I go ahead and do their special request and they take that as permission to start riding my horses and then it never ends with the 'excuse me but could you this and that' crap.

Then again I get a customer wants to run their sprinkler system so I can come EVERY week, well then that might be another story especially if that's their one and only request and it's even harder to say no when they pay for like 4 cuts in advance, to be sure.
But I agree - Thurs - Sat, however the dice may fall.

Last edited by topsites; 06-22-2005 at 01:32 AM.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:33 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I find it amusing the the worst pita customer think they are the most important and we should just drop down and kiss their butt for them paying us some huge amount (25-30) per cut. I have run into this several times about changing thier days or whatever because they are "special". There are a very select few I would try to honor their request, you know the kind, give $$$ for christmas and pays on time with no complaints.
echo hedge clippers
echo long pole hedge clippers
Redmax weedeater
echo 650 BP blower
6 x 16 trailer
5 x 8 trailor
2001 Chevy LS Silverado
Polaris Sportsman 500 AWD ATV
last but not least, TWINS!