Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-21-2005, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You know they're a scrub landscaper when...

They call clumps slow release nitrogen.

Just heard this today and thought it was funny. I have this small complex. Part of a larger one that got broken up over the years. The guys that do the piece next to me only cut every three weeks. Makes one pass and that's it, a clumpy mess. Today we both mowed at the same time (first time I've seen him in three years) and I went and asked him why he does that, and he gives me grin and says "it'll break down, that's slow release nitrogen".

Any others?
WSDA# 65537
Old 06-21-2005, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

They stop where you are working and ask to borrow and hammer and a couple of nails so they can fix their trailer.

Old 06-21-2005, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

When they dump their 21" bags between a fence and shrubs where it can't be seen (and of coarse they should be hauling it off) and calling it "on-site mulching".
WSDA# 65537
Old 06-21-2005, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Last summer while I was mowing another LCO stopped and asked to borrow some trimmer line...about a half hour later they stopped by again and asked if I had an extra stick edger blade. Sure, of course, can I get anything else for you? Gasoline, cup of coffee maybe?

Don't know who they were, maybe just having one of those days that we all have.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You know they are a scrub Landscaper when they do mainly maintenance on lawns and call themselves Landscapers.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Sheshovel,
Are people or businesses that do mostly "maintenance" lower then "landscapers". What should one call themselves if the fall into this "more maintenance then landscaping" category. Oh, I know a scrub, right? Sorry if this came off pissy, I am not a morning person(haven't had my caffeine)
Old 06-22-2005, 08:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you are a landscaper then you are a landscaper......but you if you only mow then you are lawn maintenance.

One is not better than the other, but title yourself correctly.

Customers come to me all the time saying XXXX lawn and landscape doesn't do plant installation. Then why the heck did you call yourself a landscape company.

Sorry if this came off pissy, but I don't even drink coffee (caffeine).
Old 06-22-2005, 09:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turfsnow
Sheshovel,
Are people or businesses that do mostly "maintenance" lower then "landscapers". What should one call themselves if the fall into this "more maintenance then landscaping" category. Oh, I know a scrub, right? Sorry if this came off pissy, I am not a morning person(haven't had my caffeine)
Well no I get aggravated about it all, too. First of all I don't care for the term scrub because it's derogatory and it's just another way for someone to feel holier than thou, those people keep talking about scrubs think they're better than someone else and who knows for sure, anyway? Yes of course I'm no better than they are either because sometimes I get to feeling like that, too.
But ...

But no, I do not think most people would EVER fall into the 'more maintenance than landscaping' category because landscaping covers a LOT.
To be precise, true landscaping involves SO many things that if you look it up on google, the definitions alone take up pages upon pages. To me, landscaping always meant moving the earth (like moving a LOT of dirt) but that isn't it, either. There is landscape gardening, landscape architecture, landscape design, landscape artwork (painting), and a lot of it fairly takes a college degree to where one could (or should) call themselves a true landscaper.

Still, nobody is perfect and this definition is just as well:

The noun, "landscaping" derives from the participial use and designates the process or result of such an action. To define what constitutes such action, one can loosely be said to engage in landscaping when one works to improve the outside of a property (i.e., virtually everything but the house itself). Improvement can be either practical or aesthetic. When undertaking new improvements (especially of a creative nature), "landscaping" is roughly equivalent to "landscape design." But improvements must also be maintained, so "landscaping" also includes yard maintenance. Landscaping often involves work both with hardscape and softscape components.

So I think grass-cutting IS landscaping but to cut the crap I usually avoid using the term myself and just call it lawncare.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I too don't like the word scrub,and sometimes forget that some states don.r requi
Old 06-22-2005, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I never said any better or worse business owwners,I forget that some states don't require a licence to be a landscaper.Mine does and I resent people who call themselves landscapers just to make themselves sound more professional and expierienced than they really are.You have to take tests,put up a bond and pay fees to get keep and maintain your licence here and there are requirements before you to even qualify to take the test.Then there are rules you must abide by in order to keep your licence and if you screw up or screw over a client or don't finish a job you have been paid for,they can
use punishments and take your licence and make you make it good before they allow you to get it back.They can and will fine you,put you on probation,remove your licence for life ect.So there are repercussions and punishments that go along with the Licenced Landscape Contractor name. Can you guys finish a mow job and be able to say hey,we just increased your property value $10,000 or$ 20,000?How many of you are educated on plant material,irrigation,drainage,and design?How many can install a watering system from the ground up?Or build a pond or waterfall or any of those things ?You still call yourselves landscapers and I don't think it's proper.I dident use the term when I was doing lawn maintenance.Only when I took the tests,paid the fees and can take the punishments along with the title,did I ever call myself a landscaper. :blob3: