Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-22-2005, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Member

my first pond

I have been working on the install of this pond since last October. The biggest problem that I faced, besides my own inexperience, was the weather.
We had a very wet fall and winter here in East Texas and it started the day after my excavation. Never trust the weatherman!
I will post more pictures later
Attached Images

Old 06-22-2005, 02:16 PM
LawnSite Member

It became clear that it would take me several weeks to finish, as I was working alone for the most part. So I kept the pond full of water when it was forecasted to rain.
Attached Images

Old 06-22-2005, 02:43 PM
LawnSite Member

My kids keep asking me when will I be finished with the pond, I have come to the realization that I will never be "finished".
Attached Images

Old 06-22-2005, 04:30 PM
LawnSite Member

maybe you should have tried a slightly larger install for your first pond!

Looks good! how many leaks did you have, & be honest!
Old 06-22-2005, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd boy
maybe you should have tried a slightly larger install for your first pond!
I did a lot of research and looked at a lot of websites. The one thing that they had in common was that everyone wish they had built bigger from the start. So I did, but still share the same sentiment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd boy
Looks good! how many leaks did you have, & be honest!
Well there were seven that I know about. Both sides of the first three drops in the lower falls and the upper union on the check valve in the skimmer box were losing water. The falls were easy to find and fix. By accident I seen the check valve drip it was running water down the bottom side of the pipe and out the cutout in the back of the skimmer box. there was a flat spot on the male side of the union. I took it back to my acuascapes dealer. After looking at all of his check valves, they all had the same defect to one degree or another, I choose the best one.

Currently I am loosing about half an inch a day. I don't know if that is do to all the splashing in my stream or to another leak, but I think I can live with it.

Thanks for your comments.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Looks great for your first pond install!!! I like the piece of wood behind the biofalls, really brings some character to it. What size pump ya got in there??

I work for a guy part time who is a Certified Aquascape Contractor(CAC), he(Waterwood Gardens) has done a lot of ponds, we did a pondless waterfall last week and that turned out excellent. I will post some pics of some we have donein the next few days.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Something like that , I don't think you ever get finished, kind of like masterpiece in the making.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You did really good placing your rocks in the pond and falls.
great job!your only gonna hate it when the leaves fall,better get a cover and use it for a couple 3 days when they start to fall.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinman22487
Looks great for your first pond install!!! I like the piece of wood behind the biofalls, really brings some character to it. What size pump ya got in there??

I work for a guy part time who is a Certified Aquascape Contractor(CAC), he(Waterwood Gardens) has done a lot of ponds, we did a pondless waterfall last week and that turned out excellent. I will post some pics of some we have donein the next few days.
I am using aquascapes 4500 pump. With a 6' rise and 85' of pipe I should be getting about 3900 gph out of it.

I would like to some some pics of that pondless you put in.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshovel
You did really good placing your rocks in the pond and falls.
great job!your only gonna hate it when the leaves fall,better get a cover and use it for a couple 3 days when they start to fall.
Thanks for your comment. I had someone over to help with the rocks one day. He said that I had all the rocks named and numbered and that he couldn't help unless I gave him the chart of where they all went. I guess he didn't like me going behind him and redoing what he had done. It didn't help when I told him that I did appreciate him getting the rocks closer to my work area.

I am going to have a problem with leaves. Those red oaks are dropping from October till March. But my kids are always looking for an excuse to get their hands and their feet wet.