Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-23-2005, 03:08 PM
LawnSite Member

sluggish trimmer

I own a stihl f544 trimmer and it has begun to give me problems. It has provided years of trouble free service but this season it has been running sluggish. It has trouble cutting grass and is hard to start. It seems like the motor is bogging down or missing. I have replaced the spark plug and adjusted the carb. and nothing helps. I would like to fix it but if it continues to give me problems I am going to buy a new one. If it comes down to that I have been considering a 4 storke model, what opinions do you have on these. It seems like they would be easier to operate and more reliable starting. Any comments that you have are greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 06-23-2005, 04:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Try changing the fuel filter which is on the end of the pick-up hose that dangles in the fuel tank. Clean the exhaust port. Otherwise you will need to have the carb rebuilt.
Old 06-23-2005, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Rebuilding the carb is not difficult just carefully lay out the part so you get the replacement back in the same order. Regarding the 4MIX I would stay with the 2 stroke until they get all the problems solved. Get an Echo like the SRM260 that has the carb adjustment and you will be fine.
Old 06-23-2005, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks for the info guys, I will check the filter and clean the exhaust and keep you all informed on how that goes.
Old 06-23-2005, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Member

I have had the same problem. Small equipment has small screens(spark arresters) between the engine and the muffler and usually one at the exit of the muffler. Remove these and I'll bet your trimmer will be good as new or better. It's like this...if you put your hand over your mouth and cannot exhale, you die. Same idea with engines.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:40 AM
LawnSite Member

well, I cleaned the exhaust, spark arrestor, and the filter and it had no effect on the trimmer. I guess the carb needs to be rebuilt, how much are rebuild kits and are they easy to get. Thanks for all the help.
Old 06-24-2005, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Rebuild kits are normally only about $10 .
Old 06-24-2005, 03:34 PM
LawnSite Member

I just rebuilt the carb. and it didn't help much at all. I am at my witts end here, there has to be something that I am overlooking. I am close to buying a new one and tossing this one over a hill, if you can think of anything I might be overlooking please mention it. thanks.
Old 06-24-2005, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Lurchy,
Try running the trimmer with the gas cap loosened. I have seen many older stihl trimmers that had plugged gas cap vents, and engine was starved of most if it's power. If that does not work, you may need to rebuild the top end.

Pete D.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Mine is acting the same way. Dealer said to take the muffler off and clean the port that way. Problem is I can't get the bolts to come out. And I don't want to force them.