Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-23-2005, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Impact of $3.00 gas on business

I am predicting $75-80/barrel oil and $3/gal gas within 6-8 mo. If I'm correct, how will this affect your business? A few months ago, I got raked on the coals for my prediction.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm buying goats, and some old mules to pull the trailer with....low overhead and a constant supply of fertilizer. Maybe next year I can get my hands on some trained monkeys to lay sod and install mulch beds...if I can keep them from playing in the "fertilizer".....do we have to pay workers comp for monkeys? I'll have to ask my acountant. Will get back to you on that!

Matt
Old 06-23-2005, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The same thing that UPS, FedEx, etc does. A fuel surcharge.

Old 06-23-2005, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, it will probably cost me $1.00 x however many gallons of gas I go through per month more to run my truck and equipment than it costs me with current prices. I am pretty sure that is how it will affect everyone's business. This increase in cost is of course only applicable to current lawns until I give a new price increase next season to compenstae. Any new lawns I pick up would be subject to new pricing guidelines that reflect gas at $3.00 per gallon. But Gas is just one cost of doing business, it isn't everything. For my opinion on your prediction, I think you are wrong. I don't think gas will be that high that soon.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

What happens when the price of any commodity rises, does every one just go out of business?

No, they don't.
As for your predictions.........the only people predicting 75-$100/barrel are the folks who have something to gain by it.

Say it loud enough and often enough and a certain group of people will accept it as truth.
That's what a few are looking for.
Old 06-23-2005, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well I just cut costs by 150 dollars/month here by transferring all my equipment from the farm to my 1-acre home lot. The farm is a friends' and I will sorely miss the 15+ acres of land where I could park ALL my base all over the place and not have to worry about a thing, plus the air-compressor was nice and now I gotta give up hauling stuff, too (thou THAT is as much relief as well).

That and I don't gotta drive my car to-from twice/day so it really saves me a chunk of money, but I wonder if I have to mix my milk with water again this year... The movie channels are long gone... Gotta have Internet thou.

You can *always* cut cost, always.

Let the fuel prices rise, let the price of service stay the same.
Competition, watch out.