Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-23-2005, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Push Edger to Stick Edger

Hey Guys & Gals.

Finally went and bought a Stihl stick edger (FC85). Love the power, and I definetly liked the price over the FC110. My only problem is, I'm having a hard time getting used to it over my push edger. Seems like I can't maintain a straight edge the longer I walk. Granted I've only had it for 24 hours, but I was just curious if there is a trick to these things that'll help me get better with it quicker. Thanks all, and pray for some RAIN!

Brian
Old 06-23-2005, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

seems like it just likes to go where ever. You cant see anything with the shield on. Off myn came, now your talking. I just pull it towards the left or the curb and with a full face shield go nuts. Good edger, When I run myn it's full throttle all the time. Can't break it. Without the shield I find it alot easier expessially if your cutting new beds. Good luck.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Member

hold the edger at an angle so that the blade is constantly barely in contact with the concrete, you'll get used to it....
Old 06-24-2005, 07:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hold it left handed. It puts the edger head and blade in line of sight. Takes a little getting used to, but works great that way. I train everyone to do it that way. They are faster, can see anything skipped, keep straight lines and can look straight down to the blade.
Old 06-24-2005, 07:47 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I had a slight problem getting used to it when I swapped from a wb edger to the stick as well. I have an echo. I left the gaurd on so I dont throw anything at anyone and the only problem I have now is if the soil is slightly damp it clogs up a bit. If I keep the rpm up and clean it out good its fine. I set mine at a slight angle too and works like a charm now. Eats blades much faster than the wb one tho. WB stays home unless I need to break a new edge now.
Old 06-24-2005, 06:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Personally, I hate the stick edgers. IMHO, they do not do as good a quality job as the wheeled ones. Faster ... it all depends on the operator. I can go as fast w/ the wheeled as most can a stick. Stick has these advantages... since in the trimmer rack, doesn't get beat by larger equip on trailer rolling into it. Also, quicker to get off & put back on trailer. Disadvantage ... blade is 1-1.5" shorter to start, a little tricky to keep the edge as straight, hit one little bump, & you go way out of line (if you're edging quickly).

Bottom line, I bought 2 since its what my crews want and are used to using. I very rarely mow gfrass myself, and on those rare occasions, I have 2 wheeled edgers to choose from.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turfdude
Personally, I hate the stick edgers.
HA, I didn't even use mine today. I got so frusterated with it last nite trying to practice on my own lawn that I just kept it off the trailer. I haven't given up yet though. Hopefully tomarrow after I get the last bit of work done that I have to do in the morning, I can play with it and try to figure something out.

Brian
Old 06-24-2005, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

A stick edger is the easiest thing to ever use. When I use to work for a big company the new guy got the edger. You can edge at least 4 times as fast with a stick edger compared to a push edger, those things are a joke.
Old 06-24-2005, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningLawns
A stick edger is the easiest thing to ever use. When I use to work for a big company the new guy got the edger. You can edge at least 4 times as fast with a stick edger compared to a push edger, those things are a joke.
It all depends on what you're trained on. The old tanaka 550 le's can't be beat. If ever you have to do a true initial edging w/ 3+" of turf over the sidewalk, you'd probably burn out the stick edger. BTW, the sticks I bought are the straight shaft redmax's. I figured its better to go w/ a steel shaft than a flexible cable (which all bent shaft stick edgers have).
Old 06-24-2005, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've never used a straight shaft edger, but your probably right on the overgrown edges with the push edger, when it comes to everyday use of maintaining an edge the stick edger out does the push.