Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-24-2005, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Member

I use a echo also. I dont pull the guards off myself. Having used a walkbehind unit I will say this. If its a job where it hasnt been edged in 3 years and is in real bad shape a walkbehind unit will shine. But for weekly maint IMO a stick edger cant be beat. I can edge about as fast as I can walk generaly.

For what its worth I HATE edgeing but it really sets a property off and is a very important part of a detailed job. If I only could have one of the other I would get the stick edger.
Old 06-25-2005, 12:45 PM
LawnSite Member

i bought a small push edger last year and i love it..it may take a lil longer but i like the quality alot more
Old 06-25-2005, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I can't stand the straight shaft edgers. I like my Shindy because you don't have to walk all weird with it along curbs. I tried out a straight shaft edger and i kept tripping on the curb.
7'x18' Custom Open Trailer
7'x12' Big Tex Open Trailer
8.5'x24' King American Enclosed
2006 Grasshopper 928D 61" (4,700 hrs!! )
2011 Grasshopper 930D
2005 JD 737 60"
Snapper 21" Hi-Vac Commercial
Lawnboy 21" Duraforce x2
Shindaiwa: T2500 | T231 | T242 | LE261 | EB630RT | 488 | DH2510 | RS76S
Tanaka: TBC-255PF | TBC-280PF | TPH-270PF
Fisher 8'6" Extreme V SS
Old 06-25-2005, 01:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianK10
HA, I didn't even use mine today. I got so frusterated with it last nite trying to practice on my own lawn that I just kept it off the trailer. I haven't given up yet though. Hopefully tomarrow after I get the last bit of work done that I have to do in the morning, I can play with it and try to figure something out.

Brian
I got the FC 55c which is a homeowner's model stick. Way I do it is I go around 1 time and draw a slim, straight line - which is what it's designed to do just most customers want more than a 1/4" ridge. So then once the straight line is drawn, I come back around with the edger at an angle and it takes patience to keep the angle correct, that is the key to it all is the angle. Follow the straight line you drew along carefully and most the time, is no problem.
Far as full throttle, the home-owner's models all have this device which sets the throttle at 90% and it's supposed to be used only for starting but I use that as cruise-control so I don't have to worry about throttle.
Now I only edge mulch beds WHEN I do the mulch, at all other times I use the weed-eater (like when grass-cutting).