Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-26-2005, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Well I was referring to the IS 3000 about the oil change being so easy. We looked at many mowers and the IS 3000 was the best one we found. In my opinion they have an excellent design and if I thought they didn't we wouldn't have dished out $10,000 for it.
Old 06-26-2005, 01:22 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

How can the design be that great if you dump all the filter oil all over the engine deck when you change filters. It sets so low, you can not get a lot of rags under the filter to catch all the oil. Most other major namebrand , commercial machines have a design where the oil can drain through a hole, or slots into a catch pan. I guess you missed that feature when shopping around. I am not saying the Ferris is not a nice machine, I am just saying some of their design features leave a lot to be desired.
On some of their models, the foot plate is not hinged. Whats with that? you have to unbolt and remove it to get easy acess to the top of the deck. Even a cheap old Cub Cadet 48" Tank has a hinged foot plate.
I stand by my statement that some of the Ferris machines are just not well thought out when it comes to ease of maint.
Old 06-26-2005, 05:09 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm not sure if anyone else has had this problem but if I let my Ferris 1500 sit on a lawn for even 30 seconds it burns the heck out of it under the engine. If I want to stop and pick up a branch I have to drive it off the grass and onto a place where it's not going to burn. I agree about the oil and filter change, not the easiest and can get messy.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Member

I have a 21HP/48" and love it. I only logged about 10 hours on it but I can tell you it's a tough little machine. I looked at Hustler, Gravely, and Exmark and for the money, the Ferris can't be beat. As far as toughness, this mower seems as heavy duty as as the mowers mentioned above for thousands less. I've used it in a lot of brush and it chews through everything. It rides and cuts great. I can also say the deck is built tough. I have smacked a couple of trees and it didn't even chip the paint. It does have a reinforced edge and is very thick.

The only problem I've noticed is the lawn burn mentioned above.

I have just purchased a hitch kit and a mulch kit. I will be installing both this 4th of July weekend. I will also sharpen the blades while the deck is off. The blades are dull since I've been using it as a bush hog.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowingman
As a mechanic for many brands, I can tell you the the Ferris IS mowers are the worst designed mowers I have ever seen, when it comes time to do repairs and routine maintenance. On the IS1000, and 3000, nothing is located where it is easy to get too. An oil change is a chore compared to nearly any other brand. The deck is so "crammed" under the machine that it looks like a two hour chore to change a deck belt. On the IS 1500/52", I thought I was going to have to remove the deck to just replace a deck belt tension spring. On the IS 3000, when you change an oil filter, all the oil in the filter dumps all over the platform the engine sits on. A hydro hose change on these machines looks like it might require disassembly of half of the machine.
My experience with Ferris, has been all bad when it comes to ease of repairs and service.
AND, look at all those moving suspension parts with no grease fittings. Metal parts+dirt and dust+no grease= wear and repair.

I am looking to buy a ztr and tested the 1500z, liked the smooth ride. In your opinion which other ztr's would you recommend? Price and suspension are the main reasons I am looking at the Ferris, but you did bring up some good points I had not noticed.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Well, I am a dealer and sell Gravely and Grasshopper, so I feel they are both good machines. I would also recommend Dixie Chopper, Exmark, and Hustler. All are quality machines. Be sure, whatever brand you buy, is represented by a good dealer who will take care of your needs after the sale. Try to demo the machines you are most interested in.
As to ride quality, I would rank the midmount and front deck Grasshoppers as the best of all I have mentioned. But, all the above brands are quality machines.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowingman
Well, I am a dealer and sell Gravely and Grasshopper, so I feel they are both good machines. I would also recommend Dixie Chopper, Exmark, and Hustler. All are quality machines. Be sure, whatever brand you buy, is represented by a good dealer who will take care of your needs after the sale. Try to demo the machines you are most interested in.
As to ride quality, I would rank the midmount and front deck Grasshoppers as the best of all I have mentioned. But, all the above brands are quality machines.
I'll second every last word of that. All of it.

Demo a 52" or 61" midmount Grasshopper.
I bet it will ride just as good as the 1500Z and it's built way stronger.

"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"
Old 06-30-2005, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Well, I looked at Hustler and Exmark and to me, the 1500Z offered more for the money. I demoed a Gravely and a Dixie Chopper and there was no comparison to the Ferris. The Dixie's controls were way too touchy and the ride will knock your teeth out. The Gravely rode a little better than the Dixe but still nowhere close to the smoothness of the 1500Z.

The Dixie was $200 more and the Gravely was $500 more. So I still think the 1500Z is still the best bang for the buck and also has the best ride.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Price

As far as bang for the buck, I shopped around and the best I can do pricewise for a 52"/25 h.p is $ 6170.00. The guy says that is 200 over his cost. He claims to make his money on blades, belts, and filters. I think i will be writing him a check on Tuesday after the Fourth. Thanks to all for your comments and opinions. TJS
Old 07-01-2005, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You can't go wrong with a Ferris. We have a new IS 3000 and its a great mower.