Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-25-2005, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Sea Walls

Anyone have any experience with stackable blocks Like Allan or Geostone etc for seawalls.This is on a lake.Will have too install on fall pulldown.
Old 06-26-2005, 01:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Can you install behind old wall before pulldown ? Ols wall would be your dam

Creative Hardscapes
Old 06-26-2005, 02:11 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

That is a good idea.
I never thought of that.
What would you do just excavate behind the existing wall then build the new wall then demo the old wall?
Old 06-26-2005, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

exactly - Just read your manufacturers lit. to a tee. Grab an eng. even and pay him 1000.00 to draw it up. What Block are you using ?

Creative Hardscapes
Old 06-26-2005, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

The customer asked for Allan blocks.
Do you always have walls engineered?
This is a short wall.A shallow part of the Lake.Most lakes in middle Georgia are shallow.
Wall will be around 100 feet long maybe 4 feet tall.In the planning stages.
I prefer the biggest block I can find.
I will measure and post exact dimensions.
I usually only have walls higher than 4 feet engineered.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Seawalls

We used to do a lot of seawalls on TVA lake in our area. We would use filter fabric under the footing (gravel) and then all the way up the wall between the grid layers. We would use an 18" lap on the fabric at the grid layers. Also filter fabric under the surge stone that we placed in frount of the wall on the lake bed to protect the toe of the wall. The idea was to filter fabric between the water and everything under and behind the wall.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
We used to do a lot of seawalls on TVA lake in our area. We would use filter fabric under the footing (gravel) and then all the way up the wall between the grid layers. We would use an 18" lap on the fabric at the grid layers. Also filter fabric under the surge stone that we placed in frount of the wall on the lake bed to protect the toe of the wall. The idea was to filter fabric between the water and everything under and behind the wall.
What blocks did you use and What size was the surge stone.

I have a friend with a cabin on Chatuge who talked me into doing some work for him on it.I have been trying for 4 weeks to get a concrete guy too show up.
The locals up there tell me there are very few contractors that are very prompt and very few that will even return calls.It has been quite an eye opener.
Old 07-02-2005, 06:31 AM
LawnSite Member

We mostly used Ketstone and Allen. We have not done any of them in a while as we have moved mostly into lawn care. If you inqiured to the TVA about a seawall they used to send you a cut drawing of the seawall as I discribed above. The cut drawing is the drawing that I made and sumitted with the first seawall app we sumitted to the TVA. We went over to union Co totalk to a man about a seawall over there and he showed me a drawing that TVA sent him and it was our drawing. The stone is called surge stone around here, it is bigger that #4 and smaller than riprap - I f you ask for it around here they will know what you mean. Most of the subs that are any good work for the same people all the time, so they are not interested in much else, and then throw in all the rain and everyone is way behind. It is mostly smaller cos up here, it's a labor issue (same reason we had stopped doing hardscapes). What kind of work are you trying to do. We do have a concrete guy, maby he can help you out,
Old 07-02-2005, 06:55 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
What kind of work are you trying to do. We do have a concrete guy, maby he can help you out,

I think I found someone that will complete the job.So far so good.
I will keep you in mind if this falls through.

Quote:
it's a labor issue
Unless you use people from south of the border were I am from, Labor is hard too come by.

Quote:
We mostly used Ketstone and Allen. We have not done any of them in a while as we have moved mostly into lawn care. If you inqiured to the TVA about a seawall they used to send you a cut drawing of the seawall as I discribed above. The cut drawing is the drawing that I made and sumitted with the first seawall app we sumitted to the TVA. We went over to union Co totalk to a man about a seawall over there and he showed me a drawing that TVA sent him and it was our drawing. The stone is called surge stone around here, it is bigger that #4 and smaller than riprap - I f you ask for it around here they will know what you mean.
Georgia power is who is in charge of the lake that I am hoping too do the wall at.They have some info not much.

I have family in Hiawasse and Blueridge .
Actually my wifes family.Here grandfather lives on 175 highway .He is about 3 miles inside North Carolina.