Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-26-2005, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

under side walks and driveways?

What are you using to run the wires under walks and drives. Tomorrow I'm going to try my first line under a walkway with an elec bit. Sam gave me the advice a month ago.
Just wanted to know if you might have any tricks for this. Here in GA I'm dealing with compact clay.
Old 06-26-2005, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Driveway or walkway

Drilling under walkway with a long bit is an option. For driveways you can sub out to have someone bore under drive and account for that into bill. Another option for walkway is to use copper pipe, bang down one side of pipe to a point, dig down 6-12" on each side and hammer pipe through to other side then advance wire through. This does require a big enough hole on the side you are gonna bang it through from to swing.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:47 PM
Sponsor

burial depth under driveway

Keep in mind that NEC code requires burial of low voltage wire 18" under surface of residential driveways.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Have you though about water jetting a length of PVC as a conduit for the wire. Irrigation techs have been using this for many years. you can go up to 1" dia. with this method.

Attach your hose to a length of pipe with a hose-pipe adapter. Place the end of the pipe where you want it to tunnel, for example under a concrete sidewalk, then turn on the water. Push the pipe under the obstacle as the water pressure cuts a channel. Be careful to avoid damaging walls and driveways by washing away too much soil.

just make sure that you are going under nice an level...over wise you'll end up in china...

Last edited by MarcSmith; 02-14-2006 at 07:44 AM.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Member

We use a PVC pipe and a hose, or pressure washer. My friend has an adaptor for the pressure washer which is a long tube with a pointed nozzle on the end with holes in it. Takes about 3 minutes tops for an average sidewalk.