Who is your dealer?

-MW
Old 06-05-2006, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Dan and Jeffs Repair. 405 South 1st. St, Caledoinia, MN 55921
Old 11-07-2006, 04:18 PM
Sponsor

Thumbs up Field-to-Forum #9: Tanaka THB-2510 Handheld Blower

Hello, my name is Ron Lavigne. I'm the owner of Ron's Lawncare in Southern Maine. Recently, I had the opportunity to field test a Tanaka THB-2510 hand held blower. I used this blower for about 3 weeks. The test time included the tail-end of my mowing season and continued into fall cleanups. I was pleasantly surprised with the performances of this unit. It worked extremely well for blowing driveways and cleaning out mulch beds.

1. Weight: 10
The unit has a great power to weight ratio. It is lighter than other less powerful hand-held I own.

2. Balance: 9
I found the balance to be good, and it was really comfortable to use.

3. Power: 8
Great power for a hand held unit.

4. Fuel efficiency: 7
Very fuel efficient, also it has a large fuel tank. The only problem I found is the size and angle of the filler neck. With the new gas cans, it's hard to fill without spilling fuel.

5. Ease of starting: 10
This is possibly the best starting 2 stroke engine I've ever had. During some of the cleanups it was cold in the morning. It started on the first or second pull every time. Once started it was ready to use. I didn't have to fiddle with the choke to keep it running.

6. Ease of use: 5
I did have some issues with accessibility to the primer bulb. It's a little tight to get your finger in there. This unit really needs a throttle lock so you don't have to hold the trigger all the time.

7. Noise level: 9
Nice and quiet.

8. Overall reliability: 6
Although I didn't have a major issue, I think the plastic is on the brittle side. I did knock it off the fender of my trailer (about 3' high) and the air filter housing cracked. Also the blower tubes fit together kind of sloppy and they are made of a thinner plastic than I'm used to.

Overall, the THB 2510 is a good blower. There are some unique features on this unit. I personally like the length of the blower tubes, the overall quiet operation, and the ability of the machine to start in run on the coldest of days.

The Tanaka unit feels so natural. The fan tip seems to blow the leaves out of the beds without displacing the mulch.

The THV-200 vacuum attachment was also included in the field test. It works as effectively as any other portable vacuum. It was durable and reduced leaf volume fairly The only drawback with the kit, was the complexity of converting from blower to vacuum requiring the use of tools. Also, the fact that it lacked a trigger lock made it cumbersome to operate.

In conclusion, the blower did such a good job separating leaves form the mulch that the vacuum kit didn't get much use. I wish there was a dealer network in the northeast, because if there was I would be a proud owner of the Tanaka THB 2510 blower.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to test your product, and help make my job easier.
Sincerely,
Ron E. Lavigne

Last edited by Tanaka; 12-01-2006 at 06:05 PM.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:51 PM
Sponsor

Thumbs up Field-to-Forum #10: Tanaka TBC-280 Grass Trimmer / Brush Cutter

NEW! TBC-280 Grass Trimmer / Brush Cutter (Available Feb. 2007)
27 cc, 1.4 h.p. Tanaka 2-stroke
12.2 lbs.
5" Tap head
1 yr commercial warranty

Hello my name is PJ Binder and I run PJ BINDER Landscaping Contractor LLC. in southeast Pennsylvania. I have been in the lawn care business for over 15 years and I do full service landscape maintenance.

I ran the trimmer in residential lawns doing normal trimming with a maintenance crew for over a month in hot 90 degree plus weather and in cold 32 degree weather at my own home with flawless performance. I also did some heavier weed clearing with great results.

Rate the following on a scale of 1-10 (10 =outstanding 1=poorest)

1. Weight - 10
Was nice and light - easy to run all day.

2. Balance - 10
Well-balanced. I like the hoop handle - it made edging a snap.

3. Power - 10
Nice power band throughout, however it seemed to vibrate at mid throttle some?

4. Fuel efficiency – 10
It would run for a long time with the big tank.

5. Ease of starting - 10
Fired right up out of the box and keep starting on the first or second pull even when cold.

6. Ease of use - 8
It was easy to show someone how to start it. The starter cord is a little short and the trimmer head is hard to open.

7. Noise level - 9
It was nice and quiet for a 2 stroke machine. I liked the easy access to the spark arrester screen - easy to service, good job on that.

8. Accuracy of cut - 10
I liked the quality of cut I could get at half throttle and full also. And in the tall wet grass it would leave a nice finished cut on the first pass.

9. Safety features - 10
I liked the trimmer guard a lot. I could leave it on and still trim around rocks and poles with ease. The muffler guard is nice, however it was slightly broken in shipping so I wonder how long it would last with a maintenance crew not caring how they smash it up. I also like the lack of the extra operator presence control that Echo has added to their trimmers on the handle.

10. Overall reliability - 10
It never let us down, however I would like to see how it holds up after a year of hard use.

11. Manual instructions - 10
They get to the point and I see it is in many languages for all to use.

The field test is nice, but it is only used for a short amount of time. How are the machines doing after a year of hard use with a maintenance crew? At first I hated the head, (reminded me of the green machine heads I used when I started) being that I was used to the Echo head I had been using for 15 years. I hated the spring and dropped it a bunch of times, but I have gotten the hang of it and it’s ok. It is hard to open to refill.

I like the warm up button on the throttle - it’s nice on the cold mornings. It gets bumped on against my leg. Don’t like that. Button on the other side of trigger would fix that.

The trimmer guard is a real winner. I take them all off the Echo’s, but with the Tanaka guard, I can still trim around rocks and tight spots and have the knife to keep the string cut to length. (Which is nice when a new guy is learning how to trim). I never got any complaints about it.

The starter rope is a little short - I pull it to the end on most starts and I have short arms. The power seems to be plenty and it’s nice and light. I also like that the spark arrester screen is easy to get to and clean when needed. I hate the air filter or should I say lack of one. (Moderator Note: Echo uses a paper style air filter. Tanaka and others use a foam type filter).

I also don’t like the fact you can’t adjust the carburetor. On the Echo’s the Welch plugs can be removed and you can tune the machine to weather conditions and wear so I don’t have to pay the dealer for a service call at 65 bucks an hour to turn a screw. That is the biggest reason that I have not switched to another brand is the fact you can’t adjust the carburetor. Your machine may be different in the long run but I see no adjustment and that worries me. (Moderator Note: Due to E.P.A. emissions regulations, carburetors have not been adjustable since 1997).

I showed your machine to some of my friends in the lawn care industry all of which run Echo and they all liked your machine however some of them have never heard of Tanaka and even asked me if it was some kind of new company. I have heard of your company in the past due to your Edger but have never really given your trimmers a second thought due to lack of marketing or dealers in my area.

I did do a dealer search in my area and found RJ Power and I see suburban in Delaware also sells your machines. I never took notice to your trimmers when I was in their store as they push Echo as do most other dealers I have gone into. I spoke with other contractors in my area and we all buy the same manufacturer of machines - Echo. From saws for the tree crew and trimmers and blowers they all use Echo. I also always buy Echo for over 15 years it’s always been Echo. I really like your trimmer and I see you have many attachments for your split shaft trimmers which compare to the Echo system I have. Your saw lineup is lacking but I see you have a nice looking climbing saw the TCS-3401 and your back pack blowers doesn’t even come close to what the echo’s put out at least form the info printed in there and your brochures real world might be different (Moderator Note: Compare at pipe – not housing).

I have been using hand held power equipment since before it came with any kind of safety equipment like the best thing ever invented the chain brake. And I have seen all the equipment get better and better over the years from ease of use to better noise and air cleanliness ratings however with the cost of some of the new machines out there it is hard to make a choice solely on the look and color of a new machine.

When it comes to buying a new string trimmer for a crew to use it comes down to the cost period, how much will it cost to for a trimmer in the 25cc range because the trimmer only has a life expectancy of a year. The crews smash the heck out of them with the constant in and out of the trimmer racks and being dropped on the ground I know the Echo’s we have been using just don’t hold up so I don’t like spending to much money on a trimmer with such a short life span. That is why I jumped on this field test to see how your machine would do. The main thing I am seeing it is often cheaper sometimes to scrap a machine at least with the Echo’s rather then fix it due to the high cost of parts and labor at the local dealers.

It was a pleasure to run your TBC-280 and a pleasure to deal with Mark Woodling and I would recommend this trimmer to anyone in my industry. I hope to get the chance to see your other equipment in action in the future.

Thank you,
PJ Binder
Attached Images

Last edited by Tanaka; 12-01-2006 at 06:05 PM.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:56 PM
Sponsor

Cool #11 - TBC-260PFL Extended Reach Grass Trimmer

My name is Ryan Randall. I own Accu-cut Lawn Care in Chattanooga, TN. My company operates within two states and seven counties. We service customers ranging from fast food chains, municipal parks, baseball and multi-use complexes, to residential properties. I have been in business for eight years.

Being 6' 3" tall, I was very happy to demo Tanaka's TBC-260PFL extended reach trimmer. Having miles of fence line and ditches to maintain weekly, I found myself having a sore back pretty much all of last year...Not to mention the seven miles of guardrail that my company trims monthly during the cutting season!

The problem was that the short shafts on my Shindaiwa 270 trimmers did not allow me to get into a comfortable position while I was working for extended periods of time. That's where the TBC-260PFL comes into its own.

The 71" shaft allows taller people to be in the perfect trimming position: Back straight, left arm pointing down at 45 degrees, right arm comfortable. I was able to trim the fence lines of eight baseball fields inside-and-out without any difficulty or the usual lower back stiffness. The trimmer's extra length was also very good for keeping the operator clean.

One super-nice feature of this machine was its ditch and hillside trimming ability. I maintain one park that has a three-to-six foot ditch that is one mile long. I did half of it with the 260PFL...piece of cake. The other half was done with a Shindaiwa 270. Wow, I wanted to put that Shindy back on the rack after about 1 minute!

I think that Tanaka's entry will benefit short and tall people alike for this kind of duty! The 25 cc PureFire engine performed flawlessly during my 30 hours of demonstration.

Operators can expect about two hours of use on a tank of gas. The engine stayed nice and cool which was good because the design of the machine puts the operator's right forearm on top of the engine cover in some situations.

Starting the machine was easy and predictable. Cold, two pulls and you are off to the races. The only downside to this machine I could find was the balance point. The extended length of the shaft brings the center of gravity to the loop handle. I think it would be a little better to operate if the cg was closer to the throttle.

But that is just user preference. All-in-all, I think the Tanaka TBC-260PFL is a great machine that would benefit ANY operator. I plan on buying a couple of them!
Attached Images