Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-02-2001, 07:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Let us say you go into a well-to-do plan of houses and you leave about 100 doorhangers. After you get your initial calls, do your estimates, land a few jobs, do you then re-target that area? How long do you wait? A few weeks, a few months, or the following year?

If you do go around a second time, do you generally receive any more calls from the second time of door hangers? Or fliers, whatever you use.

We are just targeting the area once; We just do not time to go back and re-target the area. Once we get our foot in a neighborhood, we will rely on word of mouth and our workmanship.
But we are curious to find out what others do.
Old 03-02-2001, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Jodi, I think you've got it right already. I've tried retargetting as you put it, to no avail. I'm sure you know that once you get a few accounts in a neighborhood that is the best advertising money can't buy. When the neighbors see your truck pull up and then watch the magic you perform, if they want lawn service they know who to call.
Old 03-02-2001, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Uncharted Territory
We will begin to target areas the middle of this month and then we will go back again in 2/3 weeks and hit them again.

The second time we are going back thru we are one step ahead of the competitions first response because we are a repeater at this point.

We will then go back thru the same areas one last time in mid-May to see who is not satisifed with the LCOs they have contracted with.

Customers Established
We will target these areas at the end of March. Then we just inform potential clients as they call that we also service Ms. Jones, so they can see examples of our work if they wish. We basically will only rely on word of mouth if we are already in the neighborhood.

The other thing that we have done in the past was to send out coupons for services about 3 weeks porior to the time we plan to reneder the service.

Hope this helps.
Kris
Old 03-02-2001, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Member

let me tell ya...ive been in buis for a long time and i just want to say...i put out 800$ / week ads in the paper all year round and tons of other $$$ ways of advert and the best thing we have found that works is flyers flyers flyers!!! they are cheap easy to get out therer and like you want you can target that area and when you go to your job in that area that neighber who got that flyer but hasnt called will check out your work ask that cust and then BAM...here come the calls...keep hittn that area but wait about a month to get back. its all about the word of mouth and gettn your neighboors to talk about you and your work!!!

peace
Old 03-02-2001, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

We will lay flyers in an area we are trying to target about every 3-4 months. I think doing it more often than that would offend some people. I know I'd get a little irritated if I saw the same flyer on my door just a few weeks apart.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 03-02-2001, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with Jim you dont want to do it too often, but it should def. have a good effect. I want to get to the point that when someone sees a lawn they think precision landscaping =), except of course the bad ones.
Old 03-03-2001, 01:00 AM
Millenium Member

I do put flyer in the same areas, usually at each season. Currently putting a flyer promoting crabgrass pre-emergent and tree fertilizing. Summer flyers for iron applications and weed control, fall aeration, and so on. Works good, and yes I do get new customers that I have put flyers out at several times before.