Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-02-2001, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Some questions for all you sesoned pros.
i'm new to pesticide application. I will be taking my masters exam the first week of April, so there is little time to get everything in order. By the way I live in Maine.
I would like to know your thoughts on the setup I'm considering.
1 Lesco spreader (80lb capacity) for fertilizer.
1 200 gallon Lesco skid type sprayer Unit.
2 Back pack sprayers. For small stuff.
My problem is this, I want to be able to spread fertilizer,control grubs,crabgrass,broadleaf weeds, and do deep root tree injections. Is it possible with this set up or should I get a seperate piggy back setup from someone else just for the tree fertilizing. I know that herbicides and fertilizer don't mix, but I also know that I will get my best weed control with the sprayer unit. Help!! Am I missing something?
Thanx for the help,
Old 03-03-2001, 04:29 PM
LawnSite Member

GrazerZ, Its funny of the mix of equipment that you are considering starting out with, 'cause that is almost the exact same set up that I started with 4 years ago. The only exception, is that I have a separate 100 gal tank and spray system for the ornamental applications. There has never been any herbicides in my ornamental tank, and as long as I own it, there never will be.
Being in a warmer climite than you, our requirements are different, but what I do is apply my pre-emergence with my spray system (both in the Spring and the Fall) Then during the Summer season, I switch over to a granular program. By spraying in Fall and Spring, I can include different things to the tank, on an as needed basis, so that adds flexability to my program that I can change on a daily basis.
NG
Old 03-03-2001, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Member

In my opinion I would go through the season and do your turf application with the granular aproach with fert and pesticides mixed and prepare to purchase a seperate tank for tree care in the fall. I do all of my tree fert. in
Nov. It may get cooler earlier for you concidering you high temps today. Against all of the rules, I know of a guy who sprayes lawns all year and then does sub-surface feeding in the fall with the same tank, he says he cleans it well. But you were to kill or damage certian lanscape plants that would require and dept. of Agri. inspection and your insurance company was involved some one would be in big trouble. Plan your stratagy now and gey another tank in the fall only if the work load would pay for the equipment.
Old 03-04-2001, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I do all of my deep-root tree ferts in late winter when I'm not using my spray rig for anything else. I just make sure that my tank is real clean. Lesco told me that the deep root app. is good for about a year.
Old 03-05-2001, 10:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanx for the imput. I decided that I probably will do one large deep root fertilizing contract that I have lined up at the begginning of the year before my sprayer sees herbicides in it.